Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lighting upgrades

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My honest opinion is that any seller who brags about how bright their LED globes are, the ones that are intended for halogen headlamp assemblies and intended to be used on public roads, simply doesn't give a shite about the illegal nature of what they sell so they are probably the type that would sell their grandmothers laprug for a profit...

The better sellers have the decency to have some text somewhere on their website indicating "not for road use" where such text should be interpreted as "what we sell is illegal to use on the road".

Why is it illegal, beacuse lighting ADR's require headlight washer and self levelling systems be included in the headlamp assembly when light output is above a specific limit of 2000 lumens (which is almost always the case in LED & HID adapetr grobes)...

As is, there are quite a few LED upgrade threads where issues around quality of various brands, problems with lamp errors (can bus errors), quality of light output, etc, are discussed. It may be worth doing a search and then reading some of those threads. It may give you the infor you need and want...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Superior vision products are good. Their LED kit beam patterns are modelled off halogen counterparts to work well with projectors or parabolics the way they were intended. They come with solid chipsets too

Personally though if you have projectors, HIDs are hard to beat, one of the best upgrades I've ever made in the lighting department. Just make sure to be a legend and check your headlights are adjusted correctly

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Has anyone used either of these companies? The reviews on the sites are good but you’d expect that. Anyone able to give an honest opinion please?

https://superiorvisionaustralia.com/product/vevf/

https://switchbacklighting.com.au/product-category/led-kits/holden/commodore/vf/
So I have the Superior Vision high beam and fog lights and they’re very good. Don’t get their indicator and brake light ones - those aren’t good with the Canbus at all in my experience and I had to replace them with Konik ones from Blingwork which are far more reliable and have not so far triggered the car’s CANBUS system. Also for T10 Parker’s and interior lighting, go with the Konik ones.

For your normal beams, if you want to be the rebel that many of us are by putting non ADR lights bulbs into the Halogen housing, I’d go with HIDs rather than LEDs because there’s better light throw and less wank factor of white light.
For HIDs, you won’t go wrong with this mob (AEI):
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1747396...Qvaz8gTSfu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Shame they don’t have 4300K anymore but the 6000K in HID is less blue/ white versus the 6000K in LED.
I returned my LEDs after comparing the pair. Just much better light distance with the HIDs.

MY18VF2SV6TTAN1C

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Commodore SV6 3.6L

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
So I have the Superior Vision high beam and fog lights and they’re very good. Don’t get their indicator and brake light ones - those aren’t good with the Canbus at all in my experience and I had to replace them with Konik ones from Blingwork which are far more reliable and have not so far triggered the car’s CANBUS system. Also for T10 Parker’s and interior lighting, go with the Konik ones.

For your normal beams, if you want to be the rebel that many of us are by putting non ADR lights bulbs into the Halogen housing, I’d go with HIDs rather than LEDs because there’s better light throw and less wank factor of white light.
For HIDs, you won’t go wrong with this mob (AEI):
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1747396...Qvaz8gTSfu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Shame they don’t have 4300K anymore but the 6000K in HID is less blue/ white versus the 6000K in LED.
I returned my LEDs after comparing the pair. Just much better light distance with the HIDs.
Another thing to add to the shopping list! I always thought it was weird that the VEs with projector headlights didn’t have HID bulbs in them from the factory as most projector headlights I’ve seen on other cars are HID.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I have the AEIs for both normal bulbs and fog lights. Highly recommended.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I've had Narva Gen2 (the latest) LED's in my VF2 SV6 Ute for 18 months and work perfectly on CAN bus with load resistors. Low beam has better light spread but not much more distance than halogen. High beam is much better than halogen and a decent improvement but VF headlights still don't match the range of a Series 1 FG Falcon (non projector) headlight I think are excellent for a stock halogen.

Here's the Narva LED's on low and high beam

20211007_214415.jpg

20211007_214405.jpg