Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Like to introduce myself and my car, is it a collectors item?

V

VH_SLSEX

Hey everyone, I just bought my second commodore, it's an 83' VH SLX. Straight as, 2-pak burgundy paint, 15" alloys, dual fuel, 10 disc stacker, pioneer speakers, alarm, immobiliser.

Now I'm trying to get it in immaculate condition at the moment, but I am on a budget. Main question I wanted to ask is; I was told that the VH SLX's are starting to become collectors items, I know they are not all that common and the parts aren't always the easiest to get a hold of! But is this true, could it become valuable now or a bit later on down the track?

Thanks guys, look forward to posting here more often!

I'll try and post some pics soon too.

Last edited by a moderator:

darkmoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 3.3i, V6 VL in Production
I never pretend to know what I don't but I would imagine that it would have to be "STOCK" to be considered a collectors item.
Kain

V

VH_SLSEX

darkmoon said:
I never pretend to know what I don't but I would imagine that it would have to be "STOCK" to be considered a collectors item.
Kain

oh..... i see

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
You still have a classic mate :)

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
There's no such thing as a Commodore that's hard to get parts for :p

Sorry to burst your bubble dude but an SL/X is just a Berlina... only thing close to a collector's item would be an immaculate 2-tone SL/E with perfect trim and duco. And even then it's still not :)

You need to be punting about in a VC HDT / VH G3 / VK GA/3 / Walky to have a real collector's item on your hands :)

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Not so true my friend. If the Sl/X was a 253 manual and original as can be, its a collectors item.
Also it doesn't HAVE to be a HDT early HSV to be collectors, try and find a VB SL/E 308 pack or a VK Calais 334 pack these days.
The magic word these days are original immaculate condition, so any VB-VK that has low Ks, its a collectors item :)

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
synoptica said:
There's no such thing as a Commodore that's hard to get parts for :p
Thats untrue as well, i have been looking high and low for good VB SL/E parts. And guess what, non are avalible. Different story for the VKs howver.

synoptica

Stripping VK - PM me!
Reaction score
Members Ride
No longer a Commodore
Okay I'll give it to you that VB SL/E parts are hard to find, fair call :p

But I don't think simply being rare and original makes it a collector's item. Because let's be honest... you're not going to find a low KM VH SL/X in Linday Fox's garage now (or any car collector for that matter!). They have to be a classic from the factory - or be a vintage car to be a collector's item IMO. But if they were only 'just a Commodore' from the factory then they're not a Mustang, or a GTS Monaro, or an SLR/5000... they're still just a factory family-spec Commodore :)

I mean I love my old-school Commodores as much as the next bloke don't get me wrong - but collector's items and rare cars are very different things. I hope to have a VC HDT parked in my garage one day... but we'll see ;)

Jimboss

Reaction score
With the prices for used cars as they are at the moment, a 'mint' older commodore are only going to sell for a few hundred (maybe a thousand or so (if you're lucky)) more than a good condition car with a few minor mods.

Plus there is the fact that it a SL/X not an SL/E, and also that it is just a commodore, they are still common (even the old ones). So by all means keep her mint and in good nick, but just don't go expecting the world when it comes time to sell her.