Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Limp mode

JD5V6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve s1 sv6
Can someone please assist. I have a 06 ve sv6. The car is in limp mode displaying an engine light with the code p2128, throttle pedal position sensor. After poking and prodding we found a bad earth on the sensor plug. Just got car back from auto elec
Was told the ecu is the source of the problem. If I was to change the ecu with a 2nd hand one, what steps must I take. Do I need to replace bcm, the key and key reader. Also must the next ecu have same pidentical part numbers . Any guidance is appreciated.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i would try a different autoelec first

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
ECU's a fairly sturdy, and I would be very surprised if it was the ECU,
Any Auto Elec can
"Dazzle you with brilliance, if not, Baffle you with Bull"
because they know that some people don't have a clue on how their cars operates.
I think you need to do a process of elimination first with the information you have, which could help to eliminate items that possible need to be checked/tested..

What were you doing when it went into limp mode ?

Try and locate a person locally to you, that can place a tech2 or equivalent on your car,
and read the codes (Current and Historic) and read live data, then establish where the fault is,
Record the current information,
Then reset it, and try it again,
That will confirm what the actual fault is.

JD5V6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve s1 sv6
ECU's a fairly sturdy, and I would be very surprised if it was the ECU,
Any Auto Elec can
"Dazzle you with brilliance, if not, Baffle you with Bull"
because they know that some people don't have a clue on how their cars operates.
I think you need to do a process of elimination first with the information you have, which could help to eliminate items that possible need to be checked/tested..

What were you doing when it went into limp mode ?

Try and locate a person locally to you, that can place a tech2 or equivalent on your car,
and read the codes (Current and Historic) and read live data, then establish where the fault is,
Record the current information,
Then reset it, and try it again,
That will confirm what the actual fault is.
The limp mode started awhile ago, very sporadically. I did have a mace throttle controller on around the time it all started happening. I don't drive the car all that often. Every other time it had a hissy fit threw codes and went into limp mode( lack of acceleration) , it fixed itself. This last time it stayed on.. I found a no earth on the pedal position sensor. Auto elec checked all wiring and even ran another wire from ecu to bypass supposed dodgy wire to no avail. Car ran fine for around 1klm to do it again. He said issue is ecu or maybe another problem the ecu has picked up on and this is the end result. Every time this issue has arised I have been drag racing as thats what the car was bought for. Have not made any changes that should affect the car, only done a cat and inlet manifold sensor delete.