Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

line locker yay or nay?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
I don't know I meant more the whole it being on the whole time thing or does it not work like that? Didn't think you could disable them.

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I don't know I meant more the whole it being on the whole time thing or does it not work like that? Didn't think you could disable them.

Yeah the electronic ones have a switch, flick on, skid, flick off :p

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Ahh ok yeah I remember a while back people were having to bodgy it up when installing a line locker. Well there you go.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The line locker will have paid for itself after the first time that you don't have to replace the rear rotors and brake pads and bleed the brake system.

If you do fit one, make sure it has 2 switches and a fuse. Double switch so that there is no way it can come on accidentally. fitting a LED somewhere to show that it is on isn't a bad idea either. That way if it fails (electrically) during a burn out you will also know.

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
cheers for all the input guys, yeah would get a switch fitted, probably in the centre console to activate it so shouldnt be that big of an issue with the abs. Will look at getting an LED light too (hadn't thought of that). Yeah just trying to find someone who won't charge an arm and a leg to fit. I can get the kit for $99.99 alone and the cheapest quote was $630 supplied and fitted with a switch. Main reason is don't wanna bugger up the brakes after a few skids.

blueVP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP, VL walkinshaw replica
The reason they would be trying to charge so much for supllying AND FITTING is it's illegal for workshop to fit anything on a road registered car thats not legal.
If they get caught they'll be up sh#t creek. And if they do fit it it'll be off the books with no warranty

amos_executive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
had a performance shop here in perth ask 1100, they also noted in the quote that line lockers are illegal and void all warranty and they wouldn't take any responisbility for anything getting ruined.

that was a big name shop as well

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
If you need a line locker to do a skid you need to learn how to do it properly.

WOW biggest fail comment, do you like warped rear rotors after you fried more rotor/pads than tyres? its not designed to make burnouts easier (which infact as a bonus they do) but more to save your rear brakes from being destroyed from the heat of the friction...

Line locker and abs. Right have fun.

another uneducated comment, i have ABS, and i also have an electronic line locker kit, with ABS you actually need 2 units and they need to be mounted near each rear wheel so they dont affect the ABS or throw fault codes or your ABS light.

also agreed $600 is a RIP! i paid like 300 for the 2 units + install

undersuspicion

Now That's How We Roll!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SV8 Series 2
ah if only i could something in that price range here in WA mate!

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
just buy the units online and take them somewhere to get installed, where bouts in perth are you?