Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

line locker yay or nay?

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
Yeah I only started about 3 weeks ago haha.

Yeah that's why me and my mates are building this burnout car. To keep our licenses by not doing on road burnouts.
Have somewhere safe to do it.
And try and show other 18 year olds. It is possible to do without sneaking away at night and shitting about cops, trying to set a good example. Plus mad fun doing it.

And all the pride once it's done. Good hobby.

I also have a GPS in my glove box (can't have them on P plates in Victoria), just so that when I speed it beeps at me.

I already burnt throug one clutch doing burnouts. And put me out of a car and almost lost my job back then. So yeah, no more money on daily car.

Any how rant over.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
You guy's might find some of this interesting:

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v6-development-modification/78409-line-locker-setup-abs.html

(Using the ABS solenoids to implement a line lock.)

I don't have the car to try it (with ABS and cheap parts replacement if it all goes wrong) so haven't done it (yet) but I still think it's a good idea.

Some corrections though:

VR and VS are still 3 channel, VT- are 4 channnel.

There are separate valves for dump and hold in VS and I am pretty sure also for VT-.

I would use an Arduino for control rather than a motor speed controller if doing it today.

I would still measure and emulate the output signals using that.

You can't do "roll control" i.e. lock the brakes on because there are one way release valves in the the blocking solenoid valves that release brake pressure from the wheel cylinders when pedal pressure is released, regardless of valve position.

I'd check the temperature of the solenoid valves if left powered for longer than an ABS stop. I think they'll be OK because the initial current spike is much higher than the hold current.

In addition to a line lock, you could actuate the solenoids for the front wheels and create a foot operated "handbrake" for handbrake turns (motorkhana). You could also use that while braking and alter brake balance - with care; you could make big changes.

If you have a VT- and 4 cahnnel you could emulate an LSD with speed measurement across the diff..

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
As of yet I would be too afraid to play around with ABS. Secondly I don't even know what computer is attaching to the LS1 going into the burnout car. I'm just new.

Last edited:

John Bock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Firebirds
If you need a line locker to do a skid you need to learn how to do it properly.
I'm 60 and I wish we had them when we were in our younger days instead of lockable vice grips. Having said that there many users for this application the most import is pre race burn out especially if your boost is nitrous plus with all the tech in real street race cars (button & switchers) you don't want to be setting them of for a quick burn out the line lock is much simpler.
When you start building high performance street or track cars you'll understand.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Nice work resurrecting an old thread. Your first post to is a reply to me. I'm honoured.

John Bock

Reaction score
Members Ride
Firebirds
Nice work resurrecting an old thread. Your first post to is a reply to me. I'm honoured.
No worries I was just looking to find out what people had to say.
Not having a lot of money I like to read and and get opinions on anything I do.
There is a universe where I agree with you to a point that is if your car can't spin the tyres with straight acceleration it is pretty dismal. But I stand by my original comment.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm 60 and I wish we had them when we were in our younger days instead of lockable vice grips. Having said that there many users for this application the most import is pre race burn out especially if your boost is nitrous plus with all the tech in real street race cars (button & switchers) you don't want to be setting them of for a quick burn out the line lock is much simpler.
When you start building high performance street or track cars you'll understand.

Just out of curiosity, are line lockers legal on the street these days?