Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Link bar lifters vs crappy plastic lifter trays.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If a lifter failes and it's a tie bar it'll likely hammer the cam and break the bar anyway.
Probably in the longer term but steel beats plastic in longevity.

This is why at a certain level.ypu mobe to solid.
I bet you're overthinking things tbh.
I don’t think I’m overthinking things when I read and see catastrophic lifter failure that wipes out cams and engines. Fair enough that it’s a rare occurrence but replacement engines are expensive.

If I was in Murica I would be overthinking it as a replacement LS is $2.50 from the local wrecking yard whereas here in Straya a replacement LS is the same price as a house in inner Sydney. I think $500 is cheap insurance on a $5000-15000 engine.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Probably in the longer term but steel beats plastic in longevity.

I don’t think I’m overthinking things when I read and see catastrophic lifter failure that wipes out cams and engines. Fair enough that it’s a rare occurrence but replacement engines are expensive.

If I was in Murica I would be overthinking it as a replacement LS is $2.50 from the local wrecking yard whereas here in Straya a replacement LS is the same price as a house in inner Sydney. I think $500 is cheap insurance on a $5000-15000 engine.

I've been watching a few US guys and they are saying it's not the carrier's but rather the rollers causing issues.
But what would they know.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
There's nothing to overthink. Tie bar kills plastic for peace of mind and you're getting a better lifter all round. They don't exist to trap your dollars on a fad. If it's in the budget why wouldn't you. It's not the same type of step as moving to solid

Only you could come on here and make an OP question a good decision Shane... LOL

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If a lifter failes and it's a tie bar it'll likely hammer the cam and break the bar anyway.

If it's failed that badly and you continue to drive it with the racket it would make you deserve it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've been watching a few US guys and they are saying it's not the carrier's but rather the rollers causing issues.
But what would they know.
Well Richard Holdener reckons the lifter trays wear out and let the lifters spin to wipe out the cam but what would he know.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think the whole plastic lifter tray concept was only done because Ed Koerner being a former drag racer was keen on the LS having quick swap cams. I don’t think longevity came into the equation too much.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think the whole plastic lifter tray concept was only done because Ed Koerner being a former drag racer was keen on the LS having quick swap cams. I don’t think longevity came into the equation too much.

Well then they fucked up because you have to lift the heads to swap the lifters. Nothing quick about it.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well then they fucked up because you have to lift the heads to swap the lifters. Nothing quick about it.
You don‘t have to lift the heads to swap the cam though if you’ve got basically virgin lifter trays. Works well for racing applications where your rebuilding the engine every half hour anyway and your pulling cams every five minutes to try a new one. Doesn’t work so well for us in the real world where we want to get 200,000kms plus of reliable motoring out of a plastic lifter tray.

Would have been a lot better idea to put the lifters in the valley so you only have to pull the inlet manifold and valley cover to replace the lifters. Of course that would mean you would have to pull the manifold, valley cover and lifters to replace the cam which is probably why they didn’t do it.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm surprised the swear filter didn't pick it up Normally it does. ****.... ****....

Strange!