Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

List of problems

tHe_sTiG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Can I have a list of problems / things that go wrong with the VZ? I've already replaced the O2 sensors and water pump, fixed a cracked radiater and oil cooler. Also did some software updates.

The scale of the problems don't seem to matter. Whatever the problem, no matter how minor, the car will howl and cry and flash 'Service Vehicle Soon' at my face and restrict the electronic throttle. Picked it up from Holden yesterday after that happened, turned out it was only a few loose wires somewhere.

The car here in the Middle East depreciates badly in value, won't be worth much at all if I sell it. I want to be ready for any more problems, and I want to know any steps / precautions I should take to prevent them from happening in the first place.

tunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ tonner
the day i was supposed to pick up my VZ, a coil in the ignition barrel **** itself. had to get a replacement ignition barrel and new key machined. . . dunno how much it cost cos i didnt pay for it. This is apparently a common problem.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
the service vehcle soon message seems to appear when an oil pressure sensor is stuffed. replace that and it should fix the problem. if its not that, could be a near dead battery, my car displayed the abs fault and my battery died, common problem

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
Apparently the keys have a very fine tolerance, and so they don't have to wear very much before they won't rotate. I had to get new blades cut for my key, and a spare. I went to a locksmith to get this done, and so I retained the key head. The locksmith said that the system was good, but sensitive, and eventually it would wear out.
Oil sensors seem to be a common fault.
And, as I have recently discovered, the VZ doesn't like being left for a few weeks without being started - electrical problems are common, including "phantom messages" on the dash, and in my case, failure to start. Still looking for a long-term solution on that one.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Oil sensors were a problem on GMs 3.8L V6 engines too. No car should be left weeks and weeks on end without use; I certainly wouldn't allow my VZ to sit idle for that long.

Many problems come up because of people fiddling with the electronics (ECM, BCM, sensors and wiring) — problems not actually visible when the car is sold off to the next unsuspecting owner. So we need to be very careful tarring a good car with a problematic brush covered in feathers from previous users. ;)