Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Live dogs as shark Bait!! WTF is this world coming to???

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
I must be an asshole, I don't see a problem with it lol, fair enough in nature the dog wouldn't be the natural prey of a god damned shark but what makes the dog so much different than any other animal (including cats like ado said) that could be used as live bait?

Can somebody explain why dogs are considered 'above' other animals?

edit: Just read that they skewer them alive... OK that's bad. Kill them first and use them as dead bait?

i must be even more of an asshole because i actully laughed at the idea :lock:

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Another one to throw in the hat, how about using live fish to catch fish? Same but different??? I think our attachment to dogs as a companion plays with the emotion of the subject. If someone took your pet fish and used it for live bait there wouldn't be as much uproar would there?

Not saying I support the practice, but there is always a trend to sensationalise something in another country that may have been done that way for decades/centuries.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This story is 4 years old, and look at the size of the hook. If you need bait the size of that dog, don't you think you are targeting a shark a bit bigger than you could catch with that tiny hook?

Activists must have been bored that weekend.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
mmmmm doggy flavoured shark *licks lips*

groberr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr equipe
i for one love dogs. i dont like the idea of doing this to them wen they are alive. i think for watever reason they want to do this then they should get the dogs form the pound that have to get put down because nobody has collected them, atleast then they are allready dead and are going to sum use instead of jsut been put in a hole in the ground

Sharoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Grandpa Spec 5.7L VX Berlina
Another one to throw in the hat, how about using live fish to catch fish? Same but different??? I think our attachment to dogs as a companion plays with the emotion of the subject. If someone took your pet fish and used it for live bait there wouldn't be as much uproar would there?

Not saying I support the practice, but there is always a trend to sensationalise something in another country that may have been done that way for decades/centuries.

What do you mean pet fish? Aren't they supposed to be our pet sea kittens?:yeah:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pack Ute
Uh.... I don't see a problem with this really. It makes me sick to think of the level of cruelty involved but, really, there isn't a problem with it.

The island that this takes place on has an enormous feral/stray dog population. They are viewed as vermin. Would you feel bad about a live rat being use as bait in a similiar fashion?

I really don't see any problem with re-using waste in a useful manner. The dogs would just be disposed of in another manner so why not use them as bait? I would much rather they all be dead but, well, we use live fish as bait...

Oh and yeah, I'm with you greenfoam, they are using dogs to kill sharks. Sharks are far more endangered than dogs will ever be.

The true crime here is not using "live dogs as shark bait" but the shark fishing in the first place.

faroogoo

SENTINEL
Reaction score
Members Ride
GMH
Its a different story if these scum are taking peoples pets to use...

From another forum.

"After doing a bit more research, I believe the story to be true. It stated that the dog(in the pic) was someone's pet and was intended for use as bait but escaped. It was taken to the local Vet who removed the hook and the dog made a full recovery.

It really doesn't surprise me that people in 'third world' countries would do something like that as there is a stray animal problem and most people in third world countries don't have the same compassion and empathy for animals that we do. Most traditional people are incredibly cruel because they just see the animal as a food source and don't realise that animals have feelings and needs. They are just there to be exploited/used as they are needed.

I am hoping it was just one or two thoughtless people and that it is not a common occurrence."

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I love the negative rep someone left me with no name attached - brave...

Have some compassion mate.

I have + repped everyone who agrees with my point of view because dog's shouldn't get any better treatment than other animals (still not agreeing with hooks in live dogs) just because they're commonly associated with being "man's best friend", meanwhile there are many strays and stories of people being attacked by dogs it's not funny... they're an animal, no different to every other animal.

Using peoples pets is obviously wrong because of attachment but if they're stray or a common problem (not owned by anyone) then why the hell not? Especially if they would have been put down. How can you people honestly go to say that dogs have feelings and it's mean, while you go and eat your battery chickens which have been through worse circumstances their whole lives. It's downright hypocritical to say "the dogs are suffering and it's so mean" while you go and eat your KFC and other cheap, nasty food which you're able to have because of animal cruelty.

I DO NOT CONDONE OR ENDORSE ANIMAL CRUELTY IN ANY WAY. Just irritated by the double standards... it's not like a petition is going to change the mindset or culture of an entire nation anyway...

Last edited: