Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Living with a supercharger, thoughts?

neevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportwagon SV6
I'm not far away from turning over my MY14 VF SSV Sportwagon and I've loved the car. However I've been looking at options to make the next one a bit more punchy.

My plan is to upgrade with the next Sportwagon and get the Redline plus am also working some angles to make it affordable to put a Supercharger on it too (Magnussen 2300 Heartbeat) with headers.

My questions are for those running a similar setup as I'm keen to know what it's like to use as a daily driver? I'm simply looking for a bit more fun factor, but still need a family car that I can drive daily to work each day too.

Questions are:

1. Is the car still practice to use daily?
2. Does the upgrade kill fuel consumption? I've heard latest VF's don't have AFM anymore. I'm getting approx 12l/100k at the moment on highway driving.
3. Any potential watchouts on things breaking?
4. What happens with servicing? Obviously I'll try and keep dealer servicing for warranty or does SC void all if that stuff anyway (might try and negotiate something at purchase)
5. What's the issues with rego/insurance if any?

Cheers in advance. Hoping I can keep the dream alive as 370 at the wheels is very tempting for the price!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u do nothing except the blower/tune then u should keep the same cruise economy if not better and below boost style, but when u go boost u will drink the fuel so its all up to driving style, u should be able to drive around without going into boost for most of it and if ur worried about it u can change the pressure on the bypass so it dosnt go into boost too early if need be but id say it will be fine they way they come, with just the blower and a good tune nothing should brake, just let your insurance know it may put u in a higher level and pay a little more depending on who u are with (i have cam, blower, intake, full exhaust all listed on my insurance)

neevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportwagon SV6
What insurance options did you have? The tuner mentioned only JustCarInsurance would likely insure vs the big guys.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Lumleys insurance once u have a few mods u go into a performance level and it costs a little more at first but any mods after that just add on with no extra charge, if ur over 25 i think it is they have good pricing

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Going with a blower will mean whoever does the work will pick up the driveline warranty instead of having a full Holden warranty. I don't know of anyone (doesn't mean there isn't) that offer a driveline warranty with the Heartbeat, even if it is 1 of the best units out there cooling wise. Look at the Walkinshaw kit which is still a 2300 unit, or the Harrop blower, although for the warranty you can "only" get their 1900 unit.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I'm not far away from turning over my MY14 VF SSV Sportwagon and I've loved the car. However I've been looking at options to make the next one a bit more punchy.

My plan is to upgrade with the next Sportwagon and get the Redline plus am also working some angles to make it affordable to put a Supercharger on it too (Magnussen 2300 Heartbeat) with headers.

My questions are for those running a similar setup as I'm keen to know what it's like to use as a daily driver? I'm simply looking for a bit more fun factor, but still need a family car that I can drive daily to work each day too.

Questions are:

1. Is the car still practice to use daily?
2. Does the upgrade kill fuel consumption? I've heard latest VF's don't have AFM anymore. I'm getting approx 12l/100k at the moment on highway driving.
3. Any potential watchouts on things breaking?
4. What happens with servicing? Obviously I'll try and keep dealer servicing for warranty or does SC void all if that stuff anyway (might try and negotiate something at purchase)
5. What's the issues with rego/insurance if any?

Cheers in advance. Hoping I can keep the dream alive as 370 at the wheels is very tempting for the price!
I think the main problem you may face is getting your hands on an MY17 sportwagon to begin with. Rumour has it they will be the first to be chopped mid year, V8's in particular will be very thin on the ground. It seems from reading this forum that most dealers are only getting allocated 1-2 and they have pretty much been snapped up.

You might be better off tracking down an MY16. Don't take my word as gospel by any stretch. But it does seem to be the common opinion.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
if u do nothing except the blower/tune then u should keep the same cruise economy if not better and below boost style, but when u go boost u will drink the fuel so its all up to driving style
Do these setups have bypass valves, so that it's possible to not be in boost if you drive sedately?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yes pretty much all of them have the bypass now days so they only use a few hp to turn when not in use

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I got my VF2 Redline supercharged from new at Tekno.
HSV VE/GenF & VFII LS3 Power Pack Stage 3

• TEKNO ceramic coated 1/7/8” extractors with high flow cats and twin 3 inch stainless steel exhaust with bi-modal rear mufflers (controlled either through the factory EDI or optional remote control)

• OTR Intake with infill panel

• Harrop FDFI1900 water to air Intercooled Supercharger kit with OTR Intake, 2 bar map sensor and NGK spark plugs

• Custom MAF 2 bar dyno tune with printouts

• Driveline Warranty (up to 3 years manufacturers)

Power Output for this package will be in the range of 480 - 530kws. The difference between this Stage 3 and Stage 2 is the huge torque gain from the Supercharger as well as the improved overall driveability and fuel economy.

It's driven every day to do school runs, shopping, etc.
Average fuel use is 11.5l/100 get 700km from a tank on highway
Full driveline warranty 3year
Still get servicing from Holden.
Holden will no longer warrant driveline, so any driveline issues it gets covered by Tekno.
Holden still warrant everything else.
Have car insured with NRMA inc all mods. Just be honest with your insurance company.
I talked to them about mods before I even bought the car. They raised the insured value to cover mods. My premium is around eight hundred something a year.

neevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportwagon SV6
Rikes: excellent info. Thanks!

Mind me asking what the upgrade cost you?