Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LJ torana

L

lexa

g'day guys i was just curious as to wat sort of engine i'd put in an old LJ. it comes standard with the 186 and i was planning on changing that to a 202 but i have been hearing some bad things about the 202. as i'm a P plater i cant beef it up too much. so any suggestions on the engine would be greatly appreciated. i as also curious as to how big a engine i could legally get away with in the LJ??
thanks in advance guys

R

rattattack1313

motor..

as far as I know, a VB 3.3 will slip straight in.....same gearbox etc....... but the 3.3 has all the anti pollution crap on it, so make the Man happy and install all that as well...I put a 3.3 in my old HJ wagon..it bloody flew!!!!!!!!!!!!! with the standard carbie on the 3.3, there is a hose that goes to the charcoal cannister.... I just put an old fuel filter on the hose, and let it drop down next to the motor...no-one ever picked up on it.....lol...also...149 heads fit on a 3.3 and 202 motor....does strange things to your compression ratio if you use a lower size head....should fairly fly then...lol... and a 2& 3/4 inch exhaust to let her breathe out....you will be cruisin'..... ;)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
mate
go the 202
suitably done up..they are a ripper

I had a 202 in an LJ, with major head mods
special cam XU1 headers forged pistons
308 rods and triple Webers and more....
It made 165kw @6800 at the rear wheels
(222 hp) and ran 12.2 at Calder
back in the 80's
btw
mine was a 4 door that looked standard
apart from the 7" Globes that is
but was completely rebuilt with lots of XU1 racing stuff
used to go GT falcon hunting.... :D

hth

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Old school people never did like the 202 because the 186 _might_ have been a stronger block, but the 202 is good enough plus it's bigger and makes more power : ), you can legally with some effort have some big V8's in an LJ, but really they handle much better and go plenty fast enough for any sane person enough with a good 6 in them

L

lexa

thanks heaps guys...202 it is :yeah: the old girl will be rippin it up in no time!!!
thanks again everyone, really appreciate your advice

R

rattattack1313

no worries...

no worries mate...always happy to help people..... I love passing on things that I have learned over the years...... :yeah:

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
No way I would use a 202, doughy things they are. 186 rev and accelerate a whole lot harder then 202s.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
2Fast2FuriousDude said:
No way I would use a 202, doughy things they are. 186 rev and accelerate a whole lot harder then 202s.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

ask PBrock whether he would use a LC 186 XU1 or a LJ 202 XU1 to keep up with Moff's GTHO
and I know the answer.......

btw
I found my above 202 was faster than the previously fitted 186
although both revved to about 8000 ...
the 186 went to a junk yard when I found a split in the block :ranting:
was a goodie too

cheers

C

craigillz

mate 202 r **** i just sold my lc torana it had the 186 bored to a 192 n it went hard i know a few ppl own the 202 n they say they go like **** but its up to u want my opinion stay with the 186 bore it out n put a 350 holley or twin stombergs