Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Load rated tyre for the VF

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Yes load rating the main issue, from what I am reading from VSB 14, 4.2.12 , I would think I would be ok, as I have a redline and redline's were originally specified with 19's or 20's, and it says that the vehicle "may be equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard" ....I just want to be sure, please tell me if I'm not...

"A light motor vehicle (under 4.5 tonne GVM) which is required to comply with ADR 24/... or ADR 42/04 may be equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard provided that:
 the load rating of the tyres is not less than the lowest load rating listed on the tyre placard of the vehicle or equivalent variant of that model vehicle;

I thought Redlines had 19s standard. What does the tyre placard say on you car? Are 20s specified on the placard?

20s are an option that reduces the load carrying capacity. Reducing the load carrying capacity is in contravention of the regulations as you've quoted. This is why when 20s are fitted by Holden (either factory or dealer) a reduced load carrying sticker is affixed along with a tyre placard specifying the 20s. Having 20s on the placard and the reduced load carrying capacity sticker is the way to be sure.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The tyre placard on a VF2 Redline (wagon) with 19" rims ...

IMG_0153.jpg

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
The tyre placard on a VF2 Redline (wagon) with 19" rims ...

View attachment 184024

There's the answer. 20s not specified on the placard. Note on Panhead's post above, the different load ratings of the 20s on the placard.

Here's the reduced load carrying capacity sticker attached by Holden to my SV6 with dealer fitted HF20s.

placard.jpg

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
my placard is the same as chrisp....
Saroadie do you have staggered wheels on yours? doesn't the load carrying capacity only effect the rear axle? if you run a staggered wheel with a 275/35/20 rear then you can get a 102Y rated tyre, from what I understand from the manual the axle load drops to 1300kg if 245/40/20 are on all four wheels??? i understand the different load ratings of the 19 v 20 inch tyre and would still have limited options getting a load rated front (98Y or above). Wondering if panhead has the reduced load capacity sticker on his ?

gfl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Tourer
The reduction may be wheel strength related. The load rating of tyres is independent of tyre size, 102 rated is the same for 20 or 19 inch.

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
With the 19 that is on it the rear it is 100Y. If it had a factory 20 it would be 97Y. 102 on the rear same as HSV..
Sorry saroadie, just read back through post's, you did say yours weren't staggered..

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
my placard is the same as chrisp....
Saroadie do you have staggered wheels on yours? doesn't the load carrying capacity only effect the rear axle? if you run a staggered wheel with a 275/35/20 rear then you can get a 102Y rated tyre, from what I understand from the manual the axle load drops to 1300kg if 245/40/20 are on all four wheels??? i understand the different load ratings of the 19 v 20 inch tyre and would still have limited options getting a load rated front (98Y or above).

Wondering if panhead has the reduced load capacity sticker on his ?

No I don’t.

All I have is the Tyre Placard as shown on one side and the Vin and the Motor Vehicle Compliance details on the other side.

IMG_4825_zpsrrk5ia8b.jpg

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
It’s interesting that your placard has a HSV catalogue number on it?

Like from the old VE HSVi days when their accessories came with a placard in the engine bay.

184027d1478935810-load-rated-tyre-vf-placard.jpg

I’ll post up a larger copy of chrisp’s placard while I’m at it.

184024d1478934193-load-rated-tyre-vf-img_0153.jpg

Does anyone else have photos to add?

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
Thanks for that panhead, (nice ute by the way) So, again I am thinking that I could refer to VSB 14 as being an equivalent variant redline with the same specs as a redline with 20's, one would think it would be ok???? If it all comes down to stickers, then that is BS. I plan on fitting a rear tyre with a higher load rating than what's on it now anyway.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
If the load rating on the tyre fitted is at least equivalent to that of the placard on the car, then there should be no problem.