Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Load rated tyre for the VF

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Agree it doesn't all come down to stickers. Stickers only make it easy (or not) should you get quizzed by the constabulary, otherwise they're just BS.

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
That's right, the fronts are a problem though....if it must match the placard.
VSB 14 says it may be different, so I'm confused...

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
I'd use the detail on the sticker Panhead posted as a guide to max sizes and correct load ratings to reduce confusion.

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I researched this a lot while choosing rims for my redline.
I contacted QLD transport and got this reply link: https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...cpMqQdQch1Oc7O_lg&sig2=CGJMqy5oV_8kahslyAWKVA

4.2.12 Load Rating and Speed Rating
Every passenger car manufactured after 1972 (ADR 24 now superseded by ADR 42/04) is fitted with a tyre placard that contains information on original and optional tyres and rims for that vehicle model.
A light motor vehicle (under 4.5 tonne GVM) which is required to comply with ADR 24/... or ADR 42/04 may be equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard provided that:
the load rating of the tyres is not less than the lowest load rating listed on the tyre placard of the vehicle or equivalent variant of that model vehicle;

QLD Transport also stated that they insider HSV a commodore variant. So in QLD:
You can put any tyre on as long as the load isn't less than placard or any variants placard. So if HSV have 97 rating......any commodore variant can have it

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
We got wind of it and have been for the last year organising and preparing to do a 255/35/20 102V which fits

So what happens if your pulled up by the cops and they check the car over, and ask you where the tyre placard is for 20'' wheels and 255/35 20 tyres? or more to the point , how are you covered to show the authorities its legal?

We've already covered this before, Your Tyre MUST met or be better then the LOWEST load rating shown on your tyre placard. The wheel diameter doesn't mater.

Wondering if panhead has the reduced load capacity sticker on his ?

Yes he does as early VFs are 100V and his sticker show 95V

QLD Transport also stated that they insider HSV a commodore variant. So in QLD:
You can put any tyre on as long as the load isn't less than placard or any variants placard. So if HSV have 97 rating......any commodore variant can have it

Interesting as I know in SA they go car by car. So back in the day It didnt matter if the VP Senator came on 17" wheels. If you have a VP executive and it came will 14" wheels the 2 inch rule made 16" wheels your max. So glad the law has CHANGED since then.

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
Yes, i understand that the diameter doesn't mater. With the load rating, the vehicle MAY be fitted with tyres other than on the placard provided that it is an equivalent variant....(VSB 14).

The sticker i was referring to was the reduced load capacity sticker (minimum rear axle load), panhead's ute doesn't have that...

Anyway, Im hoping NSW is the same as QLD regs... just going to make sure before i do anything.

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
With the 255/35/20 102V tyres through BK Performance, does anyone have any reviews of these? I would like to know more info...do they do a 275 rear option?

gfl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Tourer
Stock alloy load rated 750kg, HF-20 load rated 690kg.

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
Stock alloy load rated 750kg, HF-20 load rated 690kg.

1350kg is the load rating of the rear axle for SV6, SS & SSV, so HF-20's still meet this load (2 x 690 = 1380kg).
But, if your running 245/40/20 tyres on non staggered HF-20's all round then your rear axle load would be limited to 1300kg and a reduced load capacity sticker would be fitted...

Crom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Just going through this now. Purchased my VF Redline second hand just recently with 20" wheels which I love. They tyres on them are a 245/40 R20 with a load rating of 99V which meets the requirement of being over the minimum rating which is 98 as per sticker.

But...here in SA the rules are that you can't increase the tyre size by more than 15mm over the original spec. These tyres are 25mm over. After some research I can drop down to a 245/35 R20 but a search so far gives me nothing comparable on load rating. The closest I can get is a load rating of 95.

"The overall diameter of a wheel and tyre fitted to a vehicle must not be more than 15 mm greater than the largest tyre size listed on the tyre placard and not more than 15 mm less than the smallest tyre size listed on the placard.
The replacement tyres must have a load capacity not less than the lowest load rating specified on the tyre placard."

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/drivin...-standards-and-modifications/wheels-and-tyres

At this stage I'm pricing up a new set of tyres and rims to become compliant again.