Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Location of thermostat housing on alloytec SV6 engine

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Can anyone give me the specific location of the thermostat housing on the rear of the alloytec motor?
Is it bolted to the inlet manifold assembly or is it bolted on the engine block under the inlet manifold?
I am thinking of replacing the spark plugs and wondering if the thermostat comes away with the inlet manifold. Looking at another thread, the spark plugs on the right hand bank are accessed after removal of the inlet manifold. Wondering if I can kill two birds with one big rock.
Any pictures of the area available or comments on the idea?

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
Can anyone give me the specific location of the thermostat housing on the rear of the alloytec motor?
Is it bolted to the inlet manifold assembly or is it bolted on the engine block under the inlet manifold?
I am thinking of replacing the spark plugs and wondering if the thermostat comes away with the inlet manifold. Looking at another thread, the spark plugs on the right hand bank are accessed after removal of the inlet manifold. Wondering if I can kill two birds with one big rock.
Any pictures of the area available or comments on the idea?

Apprently its under the inlet manifold and you have to "sqeeze" your hand down the firewall to access it.. dont quote me on this.. never owned an alloytec.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
on the back of the motor just offset to the drivers side, if you remove the inlet manifold, its relativly easy to get to once you move a couple things out of the way

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
X04PT_6C011L.jpg

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Thanks everyone for your help. I have continued trawling the VZ threads and have another question. There is a thread where the spark plug replacement is documented. I am happy with the removal of the "upper intake manifold assembly' (GM Speak) aka plenum in some publications. Has the the lower section of the inlet manifold any coolant passages? I had a read of the Haynes Manual #41743, in Section 2B-7, 'Plenum and Inlet Manifold - removal and refitting'.
It goes about describing the process and finishes up at paragraph 18 stating to "Check the coolant level, adding as necessary................".
Is there any coolant released when the lower intake manifold is removed?
Thanks

sirjolly18

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 holden VZ v6 ute.
vz v6 thermostat location

Just some pictures I was sent to show the Holden vz v6's thermostat location.

Attachments

• vz v6.jpg
    vz v6.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 25,091
  • S7303925 (Small).JPG
    S7303925 (Small).JPG
    40 KB · Views: 15,553

CommiodoreVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Wagon
diysv6, you need to remove the intake plenum ( main casting attached to throttle body) and look below the plumbing and there she is 2 bolts and a alloy casting,hope this helps you, have fun it needs to be completed cold, time involved total about 3 hours and you will more than likely need to plan ahead and purchase replacement inlet gaskets jic( just in case)

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
A mate did one from under the car by squeezing his had up past the trans. Had a hoist to do it with so not sure if that might be another option for you.

the bush mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
This is a lot better than most mechanics advise up here in broome wa realy greatfull for this site.cheers