Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lock Chirp - Disobedient Options Menu

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi

I've got a 2005 VZ Executive wagon and for some strange reason it's decided to give a horn chirp (3 chirps) every time I lock it even though it has never been set to use both indicators and horn. I check the Options menu and there it is in front of me - 'Indicators' as the lock indication.

I try to reset it back to Indicators - still chirps, I try to set it to Indicators and Horn - chirps, and then reset it to Indicators - still chirps!!!!

I'm getting to the point of imitating Basil Fawlty and giving it a sound thrashing with a tree branch, and seeing if it will try chirping after that ;P.

Has anybody come across anything like this?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
this is telling you you have an issue with the locking system, lock the car as you normally would, then check all door are locking including the tailgate, if you deadlock it, while you are in the car, make sure all door lock cant be opened, if it does the actuator has an issue on that door, also check the door sensors are working are working

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi Troy711

Have you tried the 'Restore To Factory Settings' option?

Thanks for the reply, did try turning it back to factory settings but this didn't have any effect :0).

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi andyman

this is telling you you have an issue with the locking system, lock the car as you normally would, then check all door are locking including the tailgate, if you deadlock it, while you are in the car, make sure all door lock cant be opened, if it does the actuator has an issue on that door, also check the door sensors are working are working

You are onto to something here, after locking (the deadlocking also sets off the horn chirp), the rear passenger door still opens and the alarm sounds and the message comes up that the rear passenger door was opened. Does this sound like the actuator, and does it have to be replaced?

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
This has happened to me on a couple of occassions. I took it to the dealer and got it fixed under warranty. However, the problem is certainly in one of the door locks.

Lock the car --> Look at all the door locks, and you will notice one of them isn't quite completely down --> Unlock all doors --> Open that door with the latch only half way down --> push it in completely --> close the door --> relock the car and see if the alarm sounds again.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi EQUIPED

This has happened to me on a couple of occassions. I took it to the dealer and got it fixed under warranty. However, the problem is certainly in one of the door locks.

Lock the car --> Look at all the door locks, and you will notice one of them isn't quite completely down --> Unlock all doors --> Open that door with the latch only half way down --> push it in completely --> close the door --> relock the car and see if the alarm sounds again.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply.

I tried this and the chirp didn't sound, but now the door won't unlock :(. Looks like the door lock has gone and a (hopefully inexpensive) visit to a mechanic is on the cards.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

plane driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Sedan Alloytec
Have you checked the child locks on the rear doors also. I don't know if they could be a contributing factor. Just an idea.
The only time I get the horn making any sounds when I lock mine is if the front passenger door is open or if I deliberately press the courtesy light button on the drivers door side and try to lock it. But that horn sound is a rapid machine gun style - I guess signifying something is wrong rather than the normal beep, beep of the locking/unlocking sound.

Mick1988

W.A. Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.sarichtechnology.com
Members Ride
Too many to list......
Yeah the horn means there is a problem with locking. Is the lock getting stuck going up or down or just not working at all? If it's getting stuck, lube it up, if it's dead you can probably get one off a VT/VX/VY/VZ at the wreckers for a couple of dollars.

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
Hi EQUIPED

Thanks for the reply.

I tried this and the chirp didn't sound, but now the door won't unlock :(. Looks like the door lock has gone and a (hopefully inexpensive) visit to a mechanic is on the cards.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

It seems that the latch is getting stuck somewhere. Did you try lightly pushing it out (of course, from the inside)?

Last edited: