Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lock up torque convertor

Bocone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 1 tonne commodore ute
I have just purchased a VY V6 1 tonner. It has 185k on clock. When driving on the highway it is revving at 2450 at 110. When taken to 120 kph the torque converter locks in and revs drop to 2000 but there is a thrumming noise from the box. When speed drops under 115 the converter unlocks, revs go up and noise goes away. Dealer reckons this is a common problem with these cars. Probably thinks I'm a mug too. Never heard or seen this before despite previous ownership of auto and manual VS and VTs. Any thoughts or suggestions.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Pull the pan off and have a look what's in the pan, sounds like fluid problem most likely the filter blocked which stuffed the transmission.
You have solenoids in side too one might of failed.
Best to book it in Davo!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Doesn't sound right at all, it should be locked at lower speeds. I wonder if it's been played with to get around the lock up issue. And yes, converter lock up problems are common enough.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden uses the TCC in both 3rd and 4th. The clutch lockup is almost imperceptible and this was done on purpose for comfort reasons unfortunately to make the lockup function smooth it means the lock up clutch apply takes a fair bit of time and much like a manual clutch, when you slip it, it wears. Most of the time when the lockup clutch fails it simply slips and is only noticed by the higher rpms when cruising.

When I do tunes I modify the TCC apply settings so converter lockup feels like another gear.

Karl Robbers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy s ute
Holden uses the TCC in both 3rd and 4th. The clutch lockup is almost imperceptible and this was done on purpose for comfort reasons unfortunately to make the lockup function smooth it means the lock up clutch apply takes a fair bit of time and much like a manual clutch, when you slip it, it wears. Most of the time when the lockup clutch fails it simply slips and is only noticed by the higher rpms when cruising.

When I do tunes I modify the TCC apply settings so converter lockup feels like another gear.
Why oh why can't the manufacturers do this?
I actually like the feel of the converter locking up and yes it does feel like another gear.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Because your average mom and pop driver would be concerned because auto's are supposed to be smooth... The down side to soft/smooth shifts is increased wear and tear and hence the reason 4l60e trans need rebuilding more frequently (over say a manual transmission which will need a clutch done).