Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Locked myself in my car?

rusty_29

Reaction score
Hey I drive a VP Berlina (wagon if it makes any difference). Today i got back to my car to find the key wouldnt turn in the drivers door...As when the door is locked manually the immobiliser control cant unlock the doors, the only way I could get into my car was to open the tail gate and climb in. Once boot is closed I find myself locked in, as the door switches are all locked down, the only way out is through my windows... so when I have to leave my car I have to climb out and climb back in through the back to wind down the windows..I assume that the problem isnt with my key(s) because both my car keys can turn the car on...I'm guessing you will advise me to get my lock changed which will cost heaps, so I was wondering is there some sort of trick I can use to unlock this door once, so that in future I can use my immobiliser to lock/unlock my car in the future??

Please help as you can imagine, I'm pretty over this.

vpbt1ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS manual
yeah u have activated the deadlock try turning your key the other way round if that makes sence and jiggle it in the lock may work

CSL

Reaction score
Members Ride
missus (in more ways than one)
pull the power off the battery and manually pull it up, if not rip off door trim and pull it up from there, i dont realy understand thou

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
I think you have deadlocked the doors, as vpbt1ss said. Although, the first thing i thought off when i read the title, was that episode of family guy when peter locks himself in his car, lol, that was funny

GOOD LUCK!!!

RobMooar

Reaction score
Members Ride
_
Hey.. My Mrs did this the other day, check ur lock on the drivers door, if the slot is horozontal, you have activated the deadlock. As this is a feature not used very much by many drivers, when they accidentally turn it to this position it is very difficult to turn back. Use a bit of brute force to turn it CLOCKWISE (or you will break the key) until it is vertical again as it tends to be a bit stiff if not used very often. The commodore keys are quite thick, so you shouldn't have to worry about key breakage while doing this.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
I'm going by what i've seen on Vauxhalls, but the symptoms sound identical so here it is. I think this may be your problem.

On the inside of the door handle (around the lock barrell) there is a fairly small metal ring that turns when you put the key in and turn it. It then operates the lock and deadlock. I think this ring is made of crappy cast iron and breaks easily if it gets stuck, which is what I think has happened to yours.

The easiest way to fix it is to get a whole handle from the wreckers and just change the lock barrell out of your car into th new handle. It's a real fiddly job to change just the broken ring as there is a tiny bearing which pops out and gets lost!!

To get the door open you can try gently wiggling the key in the lock and see if it helps, but you will probably have to get the door trim off and release the lock from inside the door which can be difficult. Unfortunately there isn't a quick fix if this is the problem. If the broken part doesn't get replaced then you may have problems even locking the car without the deadlocks.

Hope this makes sense and helps. If you wanted to get the part from Holden, I think it's called a Door Lock Rotator.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Similar thing happened to me this morning.

The locks were only coming halfway up, so it looked unlocked sorta, but would not open. I used the alarm remote to activate the central locking, so it locked again, then unlocked and they would open... No idea what was goin on there?

jolly_97

THE VACATIONER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 VP Vacationer
yeah i only realised my car had deadlock on it the other day, press the button to lock it normally then lock it again with the key (cant remember which way to turn) and the slot will turn horizontal. then u gotta get the deadlock off with the key, then unlock it with the button if u have ure immobiliser function on...

funny, guys that installed my cars stereo tripped the immobiliser, took them another whole day to figure out where they had screwed up lol

fu2

The Man With No Name
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina II - GU Patrol CRD
Doctor Sodways said:
the first thing i thought off when i read the title, was that episode of family guy when peter locks himself in his car, lol, that was funny

GOOD LUCK!!!

lol i thought the same thing lol

yeah its definently deadlock if you cant unlock the doors from the inside.
if the slit for the lock is hoizontal then then turn it right untill it is vertical

rusty_29

Reaction score
I cant turn the key it just wont give me anything, thats the prob. Oh well looks like I'll haev to get a new lock. Thanks for the help eveyrone, let me know if you have any other ideas