Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Long Range Fuel Tank...

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
Hey guys,
Just wondering, with the long range fuel tank, is it just a straight bolt on to any VR/VS?? And is it big enough to make it show out the back?? Or is it possible to get a lower one so it sticks out like in the VQ's??

Cheers :D

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
yes it bolts straight in but u need the straps 4 the long range tank and it will show out the rear

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
As poverty said ,same as the VQ's, it will bolt straight in.....

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Caution.

There is a real gotcha relating to the fitting of long range fuel tanks.

As stated above, it is necessary to get the tank and the straps that fit it to the car. The long range tank also has a plastic stone guard as the tank does sit lower and is thus more exposed to stone damage.

However, it is not just as simple as nuying a tank and installing it.

Firstly, there are big differences between the tank/straps between IRS and live axle rear ends. I learned this the hard way, and have a VS long range tank in the shed that does not fit my VSII.

As a minimum, make sure you get an IRS or live axle tank as a minimum. Even then, there are so many different part nunbers for the VS long range fuel tank that I could not guarantee that it will fit.

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
so....its possible but hard to do?? your not sure exactly what parts i need?? Anybody got a pic of it in a car thats lowered, i would like to see how far it hangs out...how many litres it hold?? its about 75 isnt it, and the stock is 65??

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
so....its possible but hard to do?? your not sure exactly what parts i need?? Anybody got a pic of it in a car thats lowered, i would like to see how far it hangs out...how many litres it hold?? its about 75 isnt it, and the stock is 65??

stock exec has a 59 from what ive gathered.

try www.redbook.com.au ( i think ) should give you the stats there

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
the V8 ones are about 80liters...how low they hang out?? and im guessing they just fit straight in too :D

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
V8 drop tanks fit straight in cos the cars were designed to hold them aswell. u can even use ur regular V6 fuel pump in a V8 tank to run ur V6 and yes the V8 tanks were 80L

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My vr has a 80 litre tank that I installed myself and it works ok.
Had a few problems with straps as the car I got it off was irs (as mentioned in Fekasons post above) but I just had to modify the lefthand one so the front mount had a bolt hole instead of the tongue but after I fixed that up , it all bolted up.
There is no rubber between the tank and strap like in the 65 litre tank...just that bitumeous tape that I got from a hardware store. The rubber insulation that sits between the tank and rails is a bit different but you can work it out by this picture http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=12775&d=1140645306
You have to change your filler neck to the 80 litre one and the vent hoses are set up a little different again see picture above and you have that plastic protector to stop stones hitting the tank.Check under the protector as mine has some surface rust on the tank that Ihad to clean up where water and stones had worn off the plating on the corner under the protector.
It sits quite low but if you are conscious of it when going over things you drive it to suit.The pump and sender came with the tank and it only uses one pump...no external one like in the earlier models.