Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at buying a ve wagon around 2010..

Craiga1812

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve wagon
Hi. Just looking for some help on the pro's and con's of buying a ve wagon for the family. And which wagon would suit us better ( International, sv6, ss etc)? We will be doing a bit of travelling, camping trips etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Look at whats available on the used market.

Stay away from 3.6 4sp autos, any V6 needs good service history.

If you can get a few as wagon would be nice

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
2010 is change from VE to VE series II, if you can get a series II in your budget, I'd go with series II. With the camping trips, depending where you are travelling the lower front of an SV6 or SS mightn't be ideal. If that's a problem, there's always Calais or lower spec, if series II everything is 6 speed anyway (unless LPG). Calais will be 3.6 or 6.0 anything lower spec will be 3.0 litre.

agsryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Sportswagon
Hi. Just looking for some help on the pro's and con's of buying a ve wagon for the family. And which wagon would suit us better ( International, sv6, ss etc)? We will be doing a bit of travelling, camping trips etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

hi mate. i have a 2013 ve sv6 sportswagon series 2. it has so much room and it is easy to go camping with bearing in mind it has a good road. Its not extremely low. it can tolerate the bumps well enough. just dont park in a place where it can be bogged. the room for a family will be good. the radio works with bluetooth well for a 2013 car. the rear camera is in a good position and good to check for kids behind while the car is loaded. i love mine and kept it serviced as per book. i am selling it due to getting a prado for work.

my parents have the omega and it is not as comfy and definitely doesn't handle as well. The SV6 sticks to the road nicely. get a mechanic to use the ecu scanner to check for errors
PM me if you want.

PROS

cheap
good performance
lots of room for family
seating in the SV6 is great for long trips
Solid car if serviced by book
petrol varies from 9 - 11.5 liters per 100

CONS

informat system in some are tempremental
Seats hold stains and take work to get out

Lionbrown0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE Z Series SV6 Sportwagon
Yeah man I would agree with the dude above, I bought a 2013 as well. I was looking at other wagons from different car makes previously had a Subie, glad I bought the VE. Super comfy ride, little to no road noise, pretty much as above.

I normally get around 600ish km per tank of fuel which is fairly decent, its even better on the open road.

The only cons really is the as previously stated the entertainment system, It works well I've just had issues with the dials not working correctly which isn't a massive drama in the big scheme of things.

Stuart123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SSV Manual Sportwagon
I am pretty much in your position Craig, except i have a cruiser for the more offroad camping trips.
I purchased a SSV because i had to have a V8, and wanted leather for the kids in the back.
I lifted the front 1inch already (Plz no hate :p), and will lift the back when i put HD springs in.
Performs great fully loaded, and with the bikes in toe sometimes.

The LSD is a must have if your doing much offloading.. i kind of push mine a little bit. I am not sure which models have a LSD a standard, but would be worth your time looking at that.

I also traded my 19' rims for the SS standard. 18's. Much cheaper tires and slightly more rubber for the rocks/potholes.

Definitely get the top half cargo barrier too, pretty sure it fits any model though. Fills most of the gap in nicely behind the rear seats so ou can stack to the roof. The seats split nice too 1/3 / 2/3. So you can just fold down the 1 seat behind the passenger for the long objects (Gazebo etc) while still having 2 up for 2 seats in the back.

I have done CAI/Tune/full 2.5' exhaust into standard mufflers.
EDIT - Fuel. Fully loaded with 2 motorbikes on the trailer i got 14L/100 melb-mansfield, just on cruise control.
Melb to Grampians full car no trailer got 11.5L/100
Around town 11.7L/100 at the moment. Close to 15L/100 for the first month after i got it :)

Any other info feel free to ask.

Regards,
Stu.

Last edited:

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
OP if v8 fire is in your blood go for a 6.0L wagon. It can't be beat. If it isn't get a passat or a mazda 6 wagon.

waldog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Possibly a VE Sportwagon soon.
my parents have the omega and it is not as comfy and definitely doesn't handle as well. The SV6 sticks to the road nicely. get a mechanic to use the ecu scanner to check for errors
PM me if you want.

Can you elaborate on how the Omega isn't comfortable as the SV6? I would have thought it rode softer, so more comfortable, at the sacrifice of handling.

I'm in a similar position as the OP, looking to replace a Mazda 6 due to issues with the ergonomics of the front seats, the Commy is largely a known quantity, but we need it to be comfortable.

agsryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Sportswagon
Can you elaborate on how the Omega isn't comfortable as the SV6? I would have thought it rode softer, so more comfortable, at the sacrifice of handling.

I'm in a similar position as the OP, looking to replace a Mazda 6 due to issues with the ergonomics of the front seats, the Commy is largely a known quantity, but we need it to be comfortable.

I find the seats have much more support in the SV6. the series 2 seats were an improvement in the sv6 range. the omega seats felt like you can slide around. my commodore is comforatble on long drives. I find the sdrive itself more comfortable as well as it sits on the road better. yes you feel more bumps but it has a more confident ride.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon

The SV6 will handle better but the ride of the FE2 suspension is as rough as guts compared to the FE1. If you want comfort I would go for an Omega/ Berlina/ Berlina International/ Equipe. Obviously the higher spec models will have better seats eg Berlina International/ Equipe have Calais seats. SV6 seats are crap. As has been said previously go for the Series II if you can afford it.