Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at buying VF SSV Redline

Hypnerotomachia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I'm in love with my car. I got the W310 pack and am really happy, although I'm thinking of getting the AFM switched off. It is noisy enough, fast enough and I reckon the SSV Redline looks the business. The only issues I have are: the random behaviour with the USB music, the horn chirping (probably me being a goose), and the young blokes trying to drag me at the lights...

TBH, it is a good package. Have a hunt around the VE forums to get an idea for the bits and pieces you can swap in for better performance - like I said, I'm really happy with the W310, but I like to be unique too...

Good luck mate

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Kind of depends where you priorities lie. Being someone who drives a lot of both cars, the VF is so much nicer to deal with every day. Even if you look at it just from a driving position perspective. At 6ft5, I just can't get the falcons to fit me how I'd like. And no reach adjustment is moronic. I really, really, really dislike the interior of the falcons - all of them.

But I really, really, REALLY love the supercharged V8. It's epic. The standard 6L motor just doesn't cut it (mine included). Not even playing the same sport. The 6.2L doesn't come close either. The LSA, yes, but you pay for it.

The motor lacks in the VF (by comparison) as much as the interior, functionality and over-all build quality lacks in the falcon. I just don't like how the falcon drives either - the whole thing just feels really old. GT-F included. The steering, balance, comfort and material quality is streets ahead in the VF.

So if you fit the falcon and the motor is what's important to you, you'll be disappointed with the SSV. If you want a car that is genuinely pleasant to drive, is comfortable and feels (again comparatively) modern and well turned out, go with the redline.

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
Keep the feedback coming guys, this is great. Although, I may have pulled the trigger on an MY15 SSV Redline today. They're calling up tomorrow to see if they can snag one of the MY15's that are already built in Prussian Steel Grey, I reckon that colour looks super classy in the VF (who would have ever thought you'd hear that being said about a commodore?!). Getting an auto with the paddle shifters and black interior highlights, not the titanium highlights like in the MY14...ew. If they can snag one then I might even get it before Christmas. Best bit is they're giving me $60k for my GT, which I paid $65k for new haha, so not bad. They're also going to rip out the coilovers for me so I can sell them. Once I sell the coilovers, Rspec rear wheels I've got and a Rip shifter I have laying around I should basically come out even and not have to pay any extra to change cars :beer chug:

I also went for a spin in a Redline that was fitted with the Harrop 460 package...that thing booted! I could pretty happily live with that. Might look into in the second half of next year I think :)

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
Kind of depends where you priorities lie. Being someone who drives a lot of both cars, the VF is so much nicer to deal with every day. Even if you look at it just from a driving position perspective. At 6ft5, I just can't get the falcons to fit me how I'd like. And no reach adjustment is moronic. I really, really, really dislike the interior of the falcons - all of them.

But I really, really, REALLY love the supercharged V8. It's epic. The standard 6L motor just doesn't cut it (mine included). Not even playing the same sport. The 6.2L doesn't come close either. The LSA, yes, but you pay for it.

The motor lacks in the VF (by comparison) as much as the interior, functionality and over-all build quality lacks in the falcon. I just don't like how the falcon drives either - the whole thing just feels really old. GT-F included. The steering, balance, comfort and material quality is streets ahead in the VF.

So if you fit the falcon and the motor is what's important to you, you'll be disappointed with the SSV. If you want a car that is genuinely pleasant to drive, is comfortable and feels (again comparatively) modern and well turned out, go with the redline.

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head mate. I bought the GT for the motor, but driving it around with manual gearbox (which has problems that Ford want nothing to do with) in a day to day environment is much less enjoyable than driving around a VF. This will be my first auto car, but to be honest the auto box in the VF feels pretty good and from what I've been told it's pretty strong. The VF is just all round easy to drive. It's comfortable, quiet, has a half decent stereo (compared to the "premium" rubbish Ford put in their cars), build quality feels lightyears ahead of the Falcon, the steering wheel and seats are nicer and the seating position is better. Not to mention all the tech and features. Safe to say I'm converted fellas.

Vector

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV E3 R8
Keep the feedback coming guys, this is great. Although, I may have pulled the trigger on an MY15 SSV Redline today. They're calling up tomorrow to see if they can snag one of the MY15's that are already built in Prussian Steel Grey, I reckon that colour looks super classy in the VF (who would have ever thought you'd hear that being said about a commodore?!). Getting an auto with the paddle shifters and black interior highlights, not the titanium highlights like in the MY14...ew. If they can snag one then I might even get it before Christmas.

I ordered the same car a week ago but in Perfect Blue and apparently there are none available until February, hopefully you have more luck with Prussian Steel.

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
Dealer managed to secure me a MY15 Redline in Prussian Steel Grey, should turn up in 10-12 days apparently :)

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
unless its significantly cheaper, why would you take a 2014 plated car half way through December?

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
unless its significantly cheaper, why would you take a 2014 plated car half way through December?

A lot of people seem to get hung up on build year. If you look at it rationally it doesn't matter a lot whether it's made late December or early January. Model year has a lot more importance these days.

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
A lot of people seem to get hung up on build year. If you look at it rationally it doesn't matter a lot whether it's made late December or early January. Model year has a lot more importance these days.

Yeah, pretty much this. It's still a 2015 model with all the changes that come with that, except I can get it now and get more money for my car. Everywhere else I went to was going to offer me $52-55k for my GT, but in this deal I got $60k for it, but only if they get it now. So in essence it's worth AT LEAST $5k to me right now to get the new car ASAP, versus maybe a few hundred bucks when I eventually sell the Redline.