Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at getting into a DSLR but I'm totally clueless.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
As the title suggests, I'm thinking of getting a decent camera. it will mainly be used for landscape, cars, animals and some portrait stuff. Looking to spend up to 800-900 bucks. Brand/model suggestions and opinions welcome.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Why an slr??

Buy yourself a fuji x pro 1. Perfect for what you are after :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Doesn't matter if you're clueless, the camera will look after that!!!

Go and shop around. Find all the cameras from the name brands within your budget, and have a play with them.......

Just get the one that feels best in your hands. They're all capable of brilliant results.

From a Nikon D7000 user.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Doesn't matter if you're clueless, the camera will look after that!!!

From a Nikon D7000 user.

Wow, I find it amazing that all nikon users think this way. Explains the fauxtog problem :p

Troy, these little things are more compact and produce stunning images. The DSLR is coming to an end fast, no point getting on the band wagon.

If you want real fun, buy yourself a nice film setup. I am now going to be shooting weddings on MF film :D

Last edited:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If you want real fun, buy yourself a nice film setup. I am now going to be shooting weddings on MF film :D

Interesting. Now I know absolutely nothing about cameras. But my father has a very old school film camera, so old it has a handle to wind to the next frame. Nothing electric about it.

But this thing with its very nice optics, can take photos way clearer than their new $300 digital camera. And yet everyone that sees this old camera scoffs at it and says it will take **** photos.

VZequipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Equipe
Well inputting my thoughts into the DSLR Side of things,

Im a student, and love film, dont get me wrong, its much more fun than DSLR but im to poor for the film itself so yeah :/ minor set back in that plan.

I own a EOS 550D with an 18 - 55mm lens and love it, its perfect for cars and relatively close shots. the major drawback is the zooming capabilities. you can however get the eos 550D Twin lens set for around what yours searching at ($800) and its fairly easy to use! Just make sure you have a bit of time at the start to get used to it, there are tons of settings, covers all bases and works well once you have the gist of it all!

Also I love that because i only just got into all this and having a DSLR i could easily take a few hundred pictures, put them on the computer, delete all the bad ones (thats was like, 198 of them :D ) And then just put the card back in. however with film i would have spent an arm and a leg learning alone, rather than taking pictures enjoying it.

I think if you want to go with film, but dont really know much (and provided you have the funds) get a DSLR like your thinking, learn, then once your good with that start a film setup and move into that slowly over time.

Just my opinion!

AaronsVL

Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Ok a few things to say here
Firstly Imoengnr, it does matter if you are clueless or not, as no matter how good the camera, in the hands of someone who doesn't know what there doing its as good as a paperweight.

Secondly Minux "The DSLR is coming to an end fast, no point getting on the band wagon." Where is the evidence of this, considering more and more top Pros are making the switch to DSLR's and technology is advancing in leaps and bounds over film. And don't you think that the high end camera manufactures would be at the forefront of the market.

The DSLR is by far the most advanced camera on the market, yes compacts are good for what they are intended (point and shoot, family gatherings and outings, kids playing etc) but when it comes to portraits and weddings there is absolutely no compramise for a good high end DSLR. Especially with the interchangable lenses as the quality of glass matters, and no matter what people say "digital zoom" on compacts is rubbish compared to qulity zoom lenses.

I don't want to upset anyone here but I feel quite strongly about this subject as I run a photography business, and I care about my quality and my clients.

My advice to you troy711 is to do your research, look around at whats on offer and decide what you really want to take photos of and how far you want to take it. There are a whole lot of options out there and not one camera suits everyone, the best choice may be a compact ( and I don't hate them, there just not right for me).

However the biggest thing is to learn HOW to take photos. Composition, exposure and depth of field are just a few of the things to learn on your quest to take better photos.