Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at getting into a DSLR but I'm totally clueless.

AaronsVL

Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Well I can see this has opened up a can of worms. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions, well almost everybody. Sorry to troy for the typo, didn't think that was such a biggi.........ops sorry typo again had better check my english.

It seems everyone is keen to jump on the bandwagon but how about some of your photos Hozy and minux before you pick holes in my work, the photo of which for your information was before my business started. But im shore you will want to pick holes in this aswell.

I was just giving my opinion to TROY ( yes got that right this time), but as it has turned against me that is fine, I can handle it, im a big lad.

Would I like a "Real Website" yes I would but as this business (which you like to rag on) is not my main job I don't see the advantage yet but in the future yes I will have a real website.

My facebook coment has nothing to do with this thread or what anyone had written in this thread, it was actually in reference to an accredited AIPP member whos photos I wouldn't throw a stone at, but hay who am I to have my opinion, carry on and bring on the next round of abuse.:beer chug:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Well I can see this has opened up a can of worms. I guess everyone is entitled to their opinions, well almost everybody. Sorry to troy for the typo, didn't think that was such a biggi.........ops sorry typo again had better check my english.

It seems everyone is keen to jump on the bandwagon but how about some of your photos Hozy and minux before you pick holes in my work, the photo of which for your information was before my business started. But im shore you will want to pick holes in this aswell.

I was just giving my opinion to TROY ( yes got that right this time), but as it has turned against me that is fine, I can handle it, im a big lad.

Would I like a "Real Website" yes I would but as this business (which you like to rag on) is not my main job I don't see the advantage yet but in the future yes I will have a real website.

My facebook coment has nothing to do with this thread or what anyone had written in this thread, it was actually in reference to an accredited AIPP member whos photos I wouldn't throw a stone at, but hay who am I to have my opinion, carry on and bring on the next round of abuse.:beer chug:

Seriously, where was the abuse? I was simply telling you what I see. Nothing I did or said was turned against you, just highlighted...If you are getting upset over this I strongly suggest you never enter the APPA's. In fact, I'd steer clear of any non community based awards! Wedding photographers should be tough, what will you do when you have 10 minutes to knock out location shots that normally take 60-90 minutes?

the photo of which for your information was before my business started. But im shore you will want to pick holes in this aswell.

Firstly it is "sure" sorry for the grammar nazi :p

Why have it there then? It is best to remove those sorts of images and have your best work in your portfolio.

Sorry to go off topic troy, I think its good to see this section moving though :D

AaronsVL

Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Don't worry about my grammar when you spelt "int he". And I'm in the process of updating my website content anyway so those photos will be removed and replaced with current ones. And I'm far from upset, I can more than handle what you had to say, most of it I found quite amusing, some irrelevant, like you all I was doing was voicing my opinion.:beer chug:

Would be happy to see some of your photos when you are ready.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Don't worry about my grammar when you spelt "int he".

Are you comparing a typo to using a different word incorrectly? Fair enough...

Would be happy to see some of your photos when you are ready.

Sure, here a few out of my ipad folder, hasnt been updated in a while, but you get the idea. Only weddings, figured would leave landscapes and portraits out. Some are probably still in aRGB colour space so may look retarded to people with a non compliant browser.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Nope they can't do that, but that is hardly "leaps and bounds" advances. I use medium format film for one reason, print quality and size, I have no need to change from ISO 100 film as the shots are during the day. Sadly I cannot afford to go spend 100k on a MF digital format nor do I have the need to.

As for chimpers...errr why do you need to review shots? Even with digital I use a light meter (in camera are rubbish and I prefer to not be reviewing every photo), if you are having to check results then you should study up on composition and what not, I aim to not review, I have watched guys who are chimping non stop and to me it shows they really do not have an idea on settings. I think many "photographers" who never use film miss understanding and nailing the basics of exposure, shutter speed and aperture and it shows so often.

Not denying it isn't as good, but the fact is, film for what it is still gives me the brilliant results I need that a dslr cannot. With the new mirrorless systems advancing quickly dslr's will fade away as per my original post.

Some of the best photographers in the world look at there photo's on there camera, and nobody said anything about chimping.
Your also telling me that when your taking wedding photo's for your clients, you carrying around a light meter and are using it before all of your shots? I would find that hard to believe as there are situations at weddings where you don't have the time to do such a thing.

I will also say, nice photo's by the way.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Some of the best photographers in the world look at there photo's on there camera, and nobody said anything about chimping.
Your also telling me that when your taking wedding photo's for your clients, you carrying around a light meter and are using it before all of your shots? I would find that hard to believe as there are situations at weddings where you don't have the time to do such a thing.

I will also say, nice photo's by the way.

Umm, yes, I use a light meter in all instances. Once I am metered in one area I do not need to look at it again. I know my settings to go under/over by 1/2 stop.

Some of the best may look at their images while they are shooting, the guys I know rely on their skills and their equipment. There is no situation where I dont know my settings for each area. If I am at a brides house for her getting ready I will preset 2 settings and I know then I am within half a stop in 2 different rooms at the flick of a dial. It is all in the preparation. If you are ready for anything you miss nothing!

Cheers by the way :)

AaronsVL

Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Congratulations they are top notch photos and I have absolutely no problem telling you so, there well composed and structured. Some of the editing processes I personally don't like, but that is just me, they are still amazing photos however. Thankyou for posting them, I would love to see more of your work, maby some landscapes or the portraits you mentioned. I take it you edit with photoshop? or do you have another program you prefer?

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
made me think of this thread.

2675808_700b.jpg

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Pickle, older pic but very true. I have had 5-6 clients bring their photos to me because they used some "photographer" that had a $1000 package. The images we so bad I have had to tell them either they pay me to re-shoot or they sue (my guess is most would lose their house if taken to court as they wouldnt have P.I) the "photographer". I do not get how the industry has become so bad. I spent 12 months with my mentor before even daring to do a wedding booking on my own. Now there is people who buy an slr and claim they are a photographer. For the past 3 months alone I have been spending 8 hours a week just on further advancing my knowledge on poses with the same mentor. Makes me so frustrated. The worst is the line "I like to keep things natural and do not pose" that is the first alarm for anyone. I still laugh at people who do packages for less than I can buy prints for an album, yep, getting quality there.

Anyways, I am out of this thread, makes me too frustrated!

Last edited: