Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at purchasing a 2008 VE Omega

bnicholls

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
Hi there,

It is time to upgrade from my trusty Corolla and I think I have found an exceptional vehicle to replace it. Here is the link and you can cast your eyes over it.:

Holden Commodore VE 103km 2008 | Trade Me

I do have a few questions though.

1) What are the first things I should do with it? I want to make it look sportier, perhaps a little more power etc
2) I think it is a 4 speed AUTO, has anyone had any experience with this gearbox? What is the 4 speed like to drive, I would have thought it would have been a 5+ speed seeing as it is 2008.
3) What should I look out for when purchasing it? Anything that could really make me pay later on.

Cheers guys!
-Brodie

mydato

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE, 28 Model A Pickup
I'd say tint the windows, lower it a bit and drive it. The gear bag is a 4L60E. Nothing wrong with them. Parts are cheap and they are a dime a dozen if something goes wrong with it. The 5 speed and 6 speed will give a nicer drive and more fuel economy. The 5 and 6 speed will cost more to service.
Make sure there is a full service record. Alloytec's like to sludge up if oil changes are missed/delayed. Other then that give it a good going over visually and if you feel the need get it on a rack to check the underside and mechanicals.

bnicholls

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega
Thanks for the reply mate. I am definitely looking at tinting and lowering it. I will make sure I get a full service record.

Thanks

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
looks like a good one , but as has been mentioned the Alloytec does not forgive poor servicing , if you do get it get it fully serviced regardless .

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
I've got a 2008 Sportwagon. The 4 speed automatic transmission is probably the most disappointing thing about the car. Seems to want to jump into top gear too early when driven sedately and once it's in top gear at lowish RPM it is a bit of a slug. Quite often around town I drive it in 3rd gear (ie not Drive).

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Just saw your purchase. Well done, and looks like a nice car.
Regardless of what the books tell you SERVICE IT. Change oil to correct 5-30 including oil filter and air filter. After that drive it for a few weeks to see and feel what else it needs, do those little jobs, keep it clean and enjoy it.
My Commodore is a 2009 International model, purchased new........Just like an Omega with a bit more "bling" built in. Has the four speed box in it that I have no issues with, and it runs well in town and country. Particularly a great long distance car as I do now and then.
My only extras are a G8 boot lip spoiler and I had the glass tinted before I picked it up from the dealer. Be sure to use the very best tint you can buy. Cheap and nasty ones peel off in time. Good luck with it.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
103,000 km for a 3 year old vehicle seems a bit to me. Perhaps it was used as a 'commercial vehicle' hence the higher mileage !!!! As with all secondhand vehicles you cannot do enough checking regards to mechanical condition, bodywork (accident or flood damage - some operators are very proficient at covering up and hiding such damage). If you are a member of an Auto Club (NRMA, RACV, RACQ, RAA etc) I suggest that you get them to do a pre purchase check for you. Doesn't cost all that much and will give you greater peace of mind as higher mileage vehicles can get expensive to repair.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
103,000 km for a 3 year old vehicle seems a bit to me. Perhaps it was used as a 'commercial vehicle' hence the higher mileage !!!! As with all secondhand vehicles you cannot do enough checking regards to mechanical condition, bodywork (accident or flood damage - some operators are very proficient at covering up and hiding such damage). If you are a member of an Auto Club (NRMA, RACV, RACQ, RAA etc) I suggest that you get them to do a pre purchase check for you. Doesn't cost all that much and will give you greater peace of mind as higher mileage vehicles can get expensive to repair.

He has already bought the car