Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking at WM Caprice L98, very noisy ticking noise probably lifters

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
I am looking at a WM Caprice, drives ok (a bit loud for me with an X-Force exhaust). It drives ok but the engine is very noisy, ticks like crazy. I have done a search and yes I suspect it's lifters etc. It has stainless steel extractors and is also on gas (dual fuel injected gas).
I have never owned a V8 before so I am just getting my head around these LS engines.

It is my understanding that the lifter replacement is around 2K but if the cam is damaged and bits are loose etc. it's a new engine, probably around 6K, either way it should really not be driven until repaired, it has covered 200K.

The oil level is fine and the oil is clean, have to go back to check service history tomorrow now that I am thinking more seriously about it. This seems to be a common problem. I am curious as to whether or not it is unreasonable to offer a fair bit less to cover the engine repairs. It is pretty cheap (under 11K) and that's probably why

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
Back in the good old days went with a mate to look for cars. Came across a nice HK Premier V8 wagon. It had a bad tick and I knew the cause but the salesman didn't and we managed to talk him down a huge amount to cover repairs. Which was cool because I knew it was the EGR valve and was only going to cost couple of bucks to replace :) Don't know about your problem though.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I am looking at a WM Caprice, drives ok (a bit loud for me with an X-Force exhaust). It drives ok but the engine is very noisy, ticks like crazy. I have done a search and yes I suspect it's lifters etc. It has stainless steel extractors and is also on gas (dual fuel injected gas).
I have never owned a V8 before so I am just getting my head around these LS engines.

It is my understanding that the lifter replacement is around 2K but if the cam is damaged and bits are loose etc. it's a new engine, probably around 6K, either way it should really not be driven until repaired, it has covered 200K.

The oil level is fine and the oil is clean, have to go back to check service history tomorrow now that I am thinking more seriously about it. This seems to be a common problem. I am curious as to whether or not it is unreasonable to offer a fair bit less to cover the engine repairs. It is pretty cheap (under 11K) and that's probably why
LS engines can be noisy, see a few videos on utube will hear the bad lifter sqweak sound. If no gas those injectors are noisy as.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
LS engines can be noisy, see a few videos on utube will hear the bad lifter sqweak sound. If no gas those injectors are noisy as.

The noise seems to be amplified by tube headers as well.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
I understand that the LS1 is cheaper to fix but not as good as the L98

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
The loud ticking sound from the engine can be heard from inside the car while driving along, especially when accelerating. The sound is present whether driving on gas or petrol. The sound could be heard clearly from inside the car while driving to the extent that even the horrible loud drone from the exhaust didn't drown it out. I really like the car but don't want it if I face major engine work, even just lifters and a cam is probably 2K worth of work on top of having to do something about the noisy exhaust (my neighbours will complain when I start it in the morning, and I wouldn't blame them!) There is no need to have an exhaust that noisy on a normal daily driver, I can understand getting a better note and higher flow for better performance but this is just plain noisy and intrusive.

I really like the car, I am going to look at it again, I didn't hear any squeaking noises, just the loud top end ticking noise. Is there a test of some sort to determine if the engine faces a rebuild or major work? I guess I could have it looked at by a mechanic if I'm that worried!

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
The loud ticking sound from the engine can be heard from inside the car while driving along, especially when accelerating. The sound is present whether driving on gas or petrol. The sound could be heard clearly from inside the car while driving to the extent that even the horrible loud drone from the exhaust didn't drown it out. I really like the car but don't want it if I face major engine work, even just lifters and a cam is probably 2K worth of work on top of having to do something about the noisy exhaust (my neighbours will complain when I start it in the morning, and I wouldn't blame them!) There is no need to have an exhaust that noisy on a normal daily driver, I can understand getting a better note and higher flow for better performance but this is just plain noisy and intrusive.

I really like the car, I am going to look at it again, I didn't hear any squeaking noises, just the loud top end ticking noise. Is there a test of some sort to determine if the engine faces a rebuild or major work? I guess I could have it looked at by a mechanic if I'm that worried!
Sounds like lifters but just take a few spanners could be small exhaust leak on headers otherwise bank on rebuild or 2nf hand engine. Bargain hard

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
I did a lifter in my cammed L98 very precise sound from cabin. Cost was new cam $500, tie bar lifters $700 and gasket sets etc probably $1500 and that was me doing all the work.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys, I'd say lifters etc for sure, so loud and precise from inside cabin it drowned out the sweet V8 sound (which is what I would be buying it for.....even as a Ford Turbo man ;))