Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for a cheap to run/maintain daily - budget $4k

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
an old 85-93 era corolla.
1. its a toyota
2. its a 4cyl
3. you can pick em up for around $2000
4. its easy to maintain and its a toyota!

if its a cheap daily then anything small. even something like an excel or whatever else.
mum has a corolla, and it does have enough guts to get places. it is enjoyable to drive, and easy on fuel.

seeing you want a manual, you can pick up a fair few with manuals in them. and not at a much greater cost.
and cheapish to insure. pretty good combo for a daily afterall

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Pitty you want manual,i know of a S/C VX Calais on gas for $1500

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
There are bargains around,i got a 95 Festiva today for $1000 ,auto/air/steer.Its for a friends daughter.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Economical Fast Cheap
Pick two.

1. its a toyota
2. its a 4cyl
Agreed :thumbsup:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
bikes are expensive to run, don't buy one with the belief it will be cheaper to run than a small car, unless it's a scooter/100cc put-put
A lot of the little 250's use as much fuel as the bigger bikes because they are so low geared. You would be better off in the long run with a small car.

tyres don't last much more than 10,000kms and one tyre costs about as much as 2 car tyres
fuel economy isn't a good as you might think...... many small cars get better fuel economy.
Parts cost a fortune as does servicing.

as pointed out already though, if you are going to buy a second car to save money, then you are probably kidding yourself.
First there's the cost of the car that you need to recover in savings, 2 regos, 2 insurances, 2 cars to maintain.....

Last edited:

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
1. its a toyota
2. its a 4cyl

if its a cheap daily then anything small. even something like an excel or whatever else.
mum has a corolla, and it does have enough guts to get places. it is enjoyable to drive, and easy on fuel.

seeing you want a manual, you can pick up a fair few with manuals in them. and not at a much greater cost.
and cheapish to insure. pretty good combo for a daily afterall

As above, a small jap 4 banger would be my choice. Not hard to find a manual one either.

psycho_smurf

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Crewman V6
I used to have a 3door 94 X2 Hyundai Excel. It used about 6L per 100kms, which bests my sisters 2008 Suzuki Swift. It was pretty zippy for such a little old car. When I bought it the owner said "it drives for a little bit then smoke comes out". It had no oil and no water in the radiator, yet amazingly no damage was done to the motor, so they're pretty tough! They arent exactly lookers, but they're cheap cheap cheap to run... sometimes when filling up the commy I wish I still had the X2.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
A corolla is starting to sound good, especially those running the 4AGE, they go well for a 1.6 and you get the toyota reliability with it. Plus it wont attract much attention.

Excel sounds decent, no one would look twice at it.