Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for a cheap to run/maintain daily - budget $4k

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
My commo is pretty thirsty taking about $70 odd of fuel to go 400ks. So I'm considering buying a second car which will be much better on fuel so my weekly expenditures go down.

My budget is $4000 max, this is to cover purchase price of the car and any costs to get it RWC if the seller doesn't supply one. If I can also squeeze rego and even insurance into that $4k that'd be great too

The car has to be a manual, be good on fuel (something along the lines of $50 to get 450ks if not more) and be reliable as it will replace the commo as the daily.

While I want something good on fuel, I would like for it to not be a slug. Preferably it'd be able to keep up with traffic easily and be able to merge/overtake when i need to do so. A bonus would be to easily get some extra ponies out of the engine to make it a bit quicker.

Lets hear your ideas!

EDIT: Has to be something of the 4 wheel variety, another purpose of getting a 2nd car is so i can learn manual

Last edited:

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
You don't think it's going to save you money do you? $20 less a week to run is only $1040 a year. BUT you then have all the running costs of BOTH cars plus I assume you'll still drive the Commodore a bit too. Overall, it will end up being more expensive to own two cars, not less.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I'd say a good start would be a mid 90's nissan pulsar with the SR20de engine. Called the SSS, you might be able to pick one up for 4 grand.

My GF has a 94 pulsar with the 1.6 L engine and it is very efficient, reasonable amount of space and a decent amount of power but it loses a bit up the top, but i reckon the 2L version would be a pretty damn good daily.

Heres one i just found
1995 NISSAN PULSAR SSS N14 CBU Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
Scooter. Definitely scooter

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Hilux diesel is also a fail on the "don't want a slug" meter...while they're practically bulletproof, and good on fuel, they're also as gutless as Hell - the older ones anyway. Can't say anything about the Rodeo, haven't driven one, but I'd imagine they'd be similar.

tim005

Yet Another VS Ute Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
99' Series 3 VS S-Pac Ute.
what about a motorbike, a small 250 will get you around town and at quite a zippy pace.
or if you're real stingy you could go for a postie bike.... reliable as #### and bulletproof, although gutless.

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
While bikes are cheap to run and have a fair bit of go, i'm after a car so i can learn manual in that too, but thanks for suggesting bikes anyway.