Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for a DLSR for sports action, total camera noob

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hi All,

As the title says, i'm in the market for a DLSR camera, primarily used for sports, in particular swimming competitions. Need to be able to get reasonable close up shots at 50m+

Previously i've just used a canon digital camera but 3x optical zoom is crap and digital video.

We've always had Canon cameras so I guess i'd prefer to stay with the brand.

matt-chops

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Start by looking at the Canon EOS 1100D with a twin lens kit (18-55 and 55-250). Brand new they can be had for sub $700. Depending on your budget you could also look at the 600D.

My advice would be:
1. Buy an entry level DSLR
2. Learn the basics of how to use it—never shoot 'Green Rectangle'
3. Practice! Lots and lots and lots.

A lot of people buy a DSLR expecting to get amazing photos straight up (because being a skilled photographer has nothing to do with it when you have an awesome camera) but they are wrong. Learning to use a DSLR is incredibly rewarding and will bring you hours of enjoyment and many great photos. If you don't know where to start learning just ask on a forum and people will point you in the right direction.

Geek2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina 3.8L
I agree with matt-chops, if your on a low budget an entry level will do the job, but bare in mind that you do get what you pay for. The difference between a 600D and a 60D in build quality is huge.
Buying quality lenses pays off, the standard kit lenses are cheap and shabby but do the job.....

check out Digital Cameras Accessories - Citiwide Online I've bought a few filters and things off them (I use a Sony and they don't stock much else that will work on a Sony/minolta) and they have been good, and very cheap :D

If i needed a canon and had no lenses i would look at this: Digital Cameras Accessories - Citiwide Online - Canon 60D EFS 18-55MM IS II+55-250MM IS II Twins Kit

And don't forget to grab some UV filters to protect your lenses, and if your doing water shots a polarising filter will make your photos much much better! :D