Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for advice please VY Commodore Wagon

macdolly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Executive Wagon
Hi Guys

I have a very non-mechancial partner and rely on the mechanics when servicing the car to determine the way forward

My (very ugly green) Commodore Wagon has just clicked over 248000 kilometres - she is ugly but serves my purpose as I tow a dog trailer and have dogs in the car, and the newer wagons now just dont have the space in them for what I need, and my only option to replace her is going to be with a van or a larger 4WD

In the last year, I have had to do the Ignition ($420) another new battery ($200 she eats them every 18 months), another 4 set of tyres (again she eats them about every 45000k) and had the engine mounts replaced, the bottom of the radiator went and have had the radiator replaced and had new shocks put in

At yesterdays service (new mechanic, our old faithful has moved on) he advised

- Rear Differential sub-frame outer bushes are splitting and need replacing
- Top Radiator hose needs replacing and coolant will need replacing
- Brake fluid has excess moisture content and needs changing
- Recommend full throttle service
- Left hand rear handbrake cable mount bracket is badly bent and cable is damaged

To 'get it all done at once' he told us just under $1800 and we are trying to justify is it time to let her go - secondly is this a good quote for this work and lastly we have had her since 32000 klms and had her serviced every 15000 klms religiously - her body is scrated and dented (gave up on insurance claims after two times damaged at publc transport parking stations)

If I spend the $$ and is this a half decent quote - do you think I could readily expect to get another 70000 klms out of her maybe another two years

Anyone around the Springfield/Goodna/Camira/Redbank area recommend a good mechanic who isnt dodgy and does good work maybe I can get bits done or what do you guys think

I must say I LOVE her (family was a Ford family and I branched out and got the Commodore much to everyones disgust but have never looked back)

Understand older cars need the care and upkeep but there comes a time when you need to determine the justification I am guessing ......

REALLY appreciate your feedback and assistance

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Keep it going! That's all minor considering the km it's done! You could get another 100,000km out of it!!

Forget the throttle service and handbrake. I assume it's an auto, what auto needs a handbrake, I never use mine.

Brake fluid is worth getting done, shouldn't really be more than $100 to replace.
Top radiator hose would be wise to change to avoid failure, you could try doing it yourself, pretty simple. Again shouldn't be more than $100 for parts and labour if someone else does it.
Bushes, meh, sounds like it might be a bit of a battered car already so maybe don't bother.

I'm no mechanic and haven't ever really been to one but brakes (20min) and radiator hose (15min) should be cheap as. Or just keep driving, worst case is the radiator hose bursts then you need to get towed but it could last another 10 years, who knows!! Probably 99% of cars would have too much moisture in the brakes, if the mechanic didn't say 'stop driving immediately' you'd think it might still be ok for a while.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
He's taking you for a ride..excuse the pun...$1800 is an awfull lot for those minor items. Take the list to another mechanic without mentioning the previous quote..

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi,

I agree with Franklinfrog. The only things you must do for reliability is replace the radiator hose (I would do both top and bottom hoses at the same time) and have the brake fluid flushed and replaced.

Talk to another mechanic or even the RACQ for their advice.

Unfortunately, cars do cost, the difference between necessary and "that would be nice" is not easy to work out.

Last edited:

Allenriddoch

Reaction score
Website
www.mynextcar.com.au
Members Ride
Nissan 300 zx
Hi,
You need a change a change with your mechanic. Find someone who is certified in this field. and spending this amount of money for an old car...!!! This amount can buy you a new car if you start saving. Yes old is GOLD but we need Diamonds now. And we cant stick to old for ever. There can be only two things that can work now for you either your Darling turns to be a vintage or you sell it to the junkyard. :idea3:

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Sounds like he thought of a fair price and then doubled it!
Definitely get another another written quote from another mechanic.

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Your "very non-mechanical partner", or you, should be able to do a lot of that work. Get a workshop manual and have a read, you'll be surprised how simple a lot of it is. The only thing I'd look at getting a workshop to do would be the rear bushes if you have to drop the diff at any point (never done it myself so don't know).

A lot of mechanics will see people coming and charge a mint for what are otherwise pretty easy DIY tasks. Holden quoted me $1500 to change LIM (lower intake manifold) gaskets once, I did it all myself for under $300, and that included buying a reasonable socket set. It was the first mechanical job I'd ever done, I hadn't ever even changed the oil before that.

It seems strange you had to have the radiator replaced but the mechanic who did it didn't check the hoses while he was at it, sounds like he's wanting the extra labour charge. I'd take the opportunity to replace the top and bottom hoses, the thermostat, the heater tap (if it's as fragile as the one on VSs) and any coolant hoses that feel brittle. Maintaining the cooling system and keeping on top of the oil and filter changes (again, DIY in 30 minutes) are the key to longevity in these engines, 248,000km is just warming up.