Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for advice/tips on the 5 litres.

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Hey all, sorry if this has been asked to death but I would like to know more about the VT 5 litres, I have a friend who has recently bought one in a pretty rough condition and I have been asked if I could help get it running again, I have been doing basics on it but I know almost nothing on these engines and would rather ask advice than stuff up an expensive part. Anything would help at this stage, even links to other threads or any online versions of manuals for the 5 litre.

thanks for looking

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Whats it current state, does it have, spark fuel etc? Needs way more info to diagnose correctly

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey, I personally haven't had a really good look but I can tell stuff is missing and damaged, it's engine wiring harness has been hacked to buggery and there is a heck of a lot of rust stains around the radiator support and chassis rails, half of the fuel injectors are missing the engine computer is on the back seat and the fuel tank (which is now living in where the rear window used to live) is looking shagged as well. The body isn't happy either, all the windows are broken, stereo has been ripped out viciously, almost every panel has some damage and a fake HSV body kit as well.

I have told my friend to pull the spark plugs out and see if the motor turns by hand, so I know it isn't seized to begin with, and then pull what is left of the engine harness out and go from there.

I was hoping to see what are their common faults are, any tips about working with them and hopefully any basic tune up info or workshop manuals for them.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
If there is anything in particular he is chasing let me know. I'll be pulling down a complete 304 next week so should have most parts available to sell. Injectors will be different to what he needs though.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Use VS V6 injectors - they're the same. I have a vt 304 loom that was cut at the firewall if that's of any use to you - for the cost of postage.

Ignition module is the most common cause of no starting. They do have issues with spider plates cracking (google this - plenty of info online and on this site).

Nothing too difficult with these engines and their electronics - it's all very basic.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The question you should ask your friend is how much is he willing to spend. 2nd find out if it hasn't been written off before you start. Good luck with the task at hand I'm sure people here can help you out along the way, also type in the box above on the right what you need to know be all there well most of it .

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Car sounds VERY rough condition.
Is he going to get it running and swap into something else? Or bring the whole car back from the dead?

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car sounds VERY rough condition.
Is he going to get it running and swap into something else? Or bring the whole car back from the dead?

From what I know he intends to bring it back to life and drive it, I did strongly recommend him to give a Vehicle inspection centre a call and make sure he isn't pouring money into something that cant be put back on the road. I also recommended finding another shell or a sick V6 put the V8 in that. but he is dead set on this one, I cant fault his decision, as I have the Falcon that looks like it has been dragged backwards out of Sims. I should be looking at it again later this arvo so I will get some photos and I'll put them up to see exactly what is missing.

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey all, I have been working on my Friends 5l, he put the cluster in his other VT and it had nearly 330,000, so I'm in the middle over that giving the condition of the car, it seems to turn over by hand fine so at at least the chances of bottom end problems are less, but i have included a few photos to look over, I found the fuel rail, Air Flow meter and ignition module in the boot, so at least those are there, but it has revealed another secret of having had an engine bay fire, it seems to have started near the distributor so I recommended my friend to replace it completely, but I would love vacuum line diagram to replace all the melted vacuum lines. any help is much appreciated.

View media item 727View media item 726View media item 725

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hey all, I have been working on my Friends 5l, he put the cluster in his other VT and it had nearly 330,000, so I'm in the middle over that giving the condition of the car, it seems to turn over by hand fine so at at least the chances of bottom end problems are less, but i have included a few photos to look over, I found the fuel rail, Air Flow meter and ignition module in the boot, so at least those are there, but it has revealed another secret of having had an engine bay fire, it seems to have started near the distributor so I recommended my friend to replace it completely, but I would love vacuum line diagram to replace all the melted vacuum lines. any help is much appreciated.

View media item 727View media item 726View media item 725

Pics don't work.

Try using Imgur to post them.