Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for advice/tips on the 5 litres.

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Pics don't work.

Try using Imgur to post them.

Hopefully these work, I had the view permissions set to private, so they should be working, if not I'll imgur them I took these later at night so hopefully they are respectable.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
That engine doesn't look like a VT engine, possibly VN/VP. What is the engine number?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Bit of a dog's breakfast :D

Prong at very rear of manifold near dissy goes to vac line t-piece along firewall...it's for heater control thing.

regulator vac goes through middle of bananas to one of nozzles at front...cant remember others right now(shiftwork) but think maybe evac solenoid has vac line.

Series 3/vt intake slightly different to earlier map sensor cars & obviously sequential with maf sensor instead.

Be checking them fuel lines & fittings if it's had a fire back there.

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey all, been doing a little bit here and there with my friends 5L, I helped him to replace the fuel, heater and vacuum lines from around the back of the engine, and replace the distributor, and inlet manifold gaskets. I have been able to get it cranking over happily and have noticed it likes spitting back though the intake, I have re-timed it to the first notch on the retarded side of the timing marks, which made a big difference to its general happiness but it seems there is no fuel at the rail, Could I get an idea on what line on the firewall does what if possible? also is there more to do with setting the base timing? I know my Verada requires a terminal earthed or it will try to fight the timing adjustment.

Also I feel that I have run the heater hoses around differently as the passenger side hose sits fairly weird and the heater tap is trapped in between the fuel rail and the thermostat housing. I'm going down to try to get it running tonight so I will get some photos of the heater hoses and the general state of the engine as well,

also the engine number starts with VU so I know this is a VN-VS engine

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Put dissy in at top dead then when after it's running put in diagnostics mode to check it shows 10 deg with timing light..call it good.

Look for diagrams on fuel lines if nobody answers otherwise may have to trace it back to tank although I'd assume if bought new hoses they'd only go on one way.

Forcedvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV XU8, FORD TERRORIST
Hey all, been doing a little bit here and there with my friends 5L, I helped him to replace the fuel, heater and vacuum lines from around the back of the engine, and replace the distributor, and inlet manifold gaskets. I have been able to get it cranking over happily and have noticed it likes spitting back though the intake, I have re-timed it to the first notch on the retarded side of the timing marks, which made a big difference to its general happiness but it seems there is no fuel at the rail, Could I get an idea on what line on the firewall does what if possible? also is there more to do with setting the base timing? I know my Verada requires a terminal earthed or it will try to fight the timing adjustment.

Also I feel that I have run the heater hoses around differently as the passenger side hose sits fairly weird and the heater tap is trapped in between the fuel rail and the thermostat housing. I'm going down to try to get it running tonight so I will get some photos of the heater hoses and the general state of the engine as well,

also the engine number starts with VU so I know this is a VN-VS engine
Top fuel hose goes to passenger side fuel rail. Hose just below, goes to fuel regulator on drivers side fuel rail. Bottom thin hose goes to fuel purge solenoid.
Passenger heater hose goes to water pump port closest to passenger side. The water pump port next to it goes to port just above it. Heater tap sits between Bananas and fuel rail on drivers side just above thermostat housing then hose connects to port on water pump near thermostat housing. If you're still not getting fuel in rails, get your mate to lay near fuel tank hear if the fuel pump primes for 3 secs when you turn ignition on. If no sound, check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay in engine bay. New fuel pump needed if fuse and relay are ok

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey All, A little update around the VT, managed to get it cranking and supplying fuel happily, and also made sure I had the distributor in properly, and had it sounding much happier with much less backfiring, then for reasons I don't know he gave up and sold it for not much, I am a tiny bit annoyed as I wanted to see it run properly and say I was able to play with a 5 litre but it wasn't to be. He also has a VE SV6 he is trying to fix but those questions I'll ask in the VE section.

Reactions: Lex

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
good to see you sinking the time into a "lost cause", without this they all die and stay dead.