Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Looking for more torque 3.8 v6

FNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS wagon
Ive just picked up a 96' VS wagon. Looking at what mods i would need to do in order to get better pick up. As it is its got plugs leads and exhaust done. Im looking at getting high lift cams, a Mod chip or bigger injectors. I do want to keep this car relitivly quite as i do use it as a family cruiser.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
extractors, if you dont have them already.
but dont go with the massive primarys of pacies. look for the ones with smaller primaries. such as HM, and i also believe Advance do them with small primaries.
should give a bit of extra go.

a good tune should see if pick up well. maybe contact the1 on here. there are a few on here just cant remember all their names.
a cam could also help.
just all depends on how much money you are will to throw at it in the end.

FNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS wagon
Planning on keeping it for a while, its got a prime bodykit and just about to get resprayed. Just ordered a msd coil pack. And looking at a 69mm t/b. what mods could be done to the fuel injection?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Ive just picked up a 96' VS wagon. Looking at what mods i would need to do in order to get better pick up. As it is its got plugs leads and exhaust done. Im looking at getting high lift cams, a Mod chip or bigger injectors. I do want to keep this car relitivly quite as i do use it as a family cruiser.

Hey mate

dont bother with bigger injectors will do nothing but chew more fuel, standard are more then enough

as said get extractors/headers, a cold intake and memcal tune will make get up and go better, instead of cams id look at getting MACE high ratio rockers better bang for buck, another thing that may help is a transmisson/diff and motor service new oils and filters ect also check fuel filter

all that will get it going better

Forgot to add you could look at getting the MACE manifold and plenum spacers, i wouldnt bother with a bigger tb, i had one of my old v6 and dont think it did a whole lot

good luck

FNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS wagon
thanks mate, im looking at keeping it pretty quite though, well untill shes wide open anyway. Whats a cold air setup worth and what brand is the best?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
thanks mate, im looking at keeping it pretty quite though, well untill shes wide open anyway. Whats a cold air setup worth and what brand is the best?

you still can just have a few good mufflers in it

Id personally have a look at the MACE stuff there a sponser on here i used alot of their gear on my v6 and was happy with it all

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
mace cold air intake... best on the market
also i got pacemaker extractors, twin high flow cats (100cpi) and a 2.5 in catback with a middle resonator and rear muffler so it isnt all that loud till about 3000rpm which is good for general driving and you dont draw unnecessary attention
heres a dyno graph of the before and after (this was on a completely stock motor so only the exhaust provided these gains)... and yes i reckon the dyno was a bit happy but its more about how much it gained not the final figure

2012-12-12_180730.png

FNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS wagon
cheers lad, just rang the previos owner and he said its got a 2 3/4 exhaust from tuff muff exhuasts in Cairns. Put on just over 12 months ago.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Bolt ons, Cam, Head work port polish, get the heads shaved as well up the compression.