Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for new car... VF Sv6 .. Reliablity?

Drekko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S series
Hey
I have had my Holden VX commodore since 2002 and looking to replace it due to a smash. Insurance will not fix but write it off

Originally. I wanted to only spend around 5-10 k on a newer commodore
Wife has talked me into looking at something a little more updated so I have been checking out the VF sV6 series

I have a friend who is a mechanic. I have asked him about these models. He said to me Commodores VE and VFs have timing chain "issues"
Looked around on google and yeh I have seen info backing this up
What id like to know is . Are the timing chain issues random or just more of a scheduled pricy replacment?
Example will I be driving down the highway and my timing chain could give at any time? Replace it then could it happen again in another 5k km?

or would it be more a matter of having to replace it every 100k km?

He also mentioned they leak prone to leak oil.. Is this the case?

What other things should I look at or is this a pretty reliable and (affordable to service) car? (VF sV6?)

Thanks

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If you want reliable car get a Camry...

Timing chain is an issue in some cars but less on 2010 and later models.

Ton of info on this on the forum here...

Once fixed ... it may not be an issue ever again..
Other things will fail before replaced timing chain stretches

Drekko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S series
If you want reliable car get a Camry...

Timing chain is an issue in some cars but less on 2010 and later models.

Ton of info on this on the forum here...

Once fixed ... it may not be an issue ever again..
Other things will fail before replaced timing chain stretches

Thanks yeh when I say reliable I mean, reliable enough. Like my vx commodore was reliable to me. I clocked 400k km. Not that many issues. Just regular wear and tear stuff

Reliability is not the only factor. It needs to fit my style of car to which Camry doesnt suit lol

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the timing chains were an early ve problem so i am not sure why the "mechanic" would reference it while talking about a vf.

the vf sv6 will be reliable enough, they have been on the road for 7~ years and many of them are up in the 200+k odo range now, they seem to run fine when they are serviced properly.

right now you are going to overpay for one in many cases because of greedy dealers extorting people with covid tax, you can try private sales but remember you have no warranty options if it is a lemon and the private sellers will just go off what they see the dealers selling for.
if you go to a dealer negotiate hard, come in with wanting a minimum 5k price drop or you will walk mindset.

Drekko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S series
the timing chains were an early ve problem so i am not sure why the "mechanic" would reference it while talking about a vf.

the vf sv6 will be reliable enough, they have been on the road for 7~ years and many of them are up in the 200+k odo range now, they seem to run fine when they are serviced properly.

right now you are going to overpay for one in many cases because of greedy dealers extorting people with covid tax, you can try private sales but remember you have no warranty options if it is a lemon and the private sellers will just go off what they see the dealers selling for.
if you go to a dealer negotiate hard, come in with wanting a minimum 5k price drop or you will walk mindset.

Thanks
Was going to go private because dealers always charge a bit more

any indication what km / price I should aim for? I would be ok with something in between 100k to 150k if the price is good

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Whatever you choose to buy, just make sure you’ve done your due diligence on the value of your VX before you accept the insurance company payout. That’s because it seems all used car prices have been pulled upwards due to COVID, so you may be surprised at what a VX would cost to buy should you be looking to do so…

Even if you have an agreed value policy, I’d do the homework and then discuss the matter with your insurance company. This is especially important if you’ve been with them for a while as they may not have automatically increase the listed agreed value at your last renewal to reflect the market changes (but they do decrease when it suits them…).

Something to consider… cause an extra $1kin your pocket is better than $1k less in your bank account :p:p:p

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
any indication what km / price I should aim for? I would be ok with something in between 100k to 150k if the price is good

that is going to be a mixed bag depending on the condition, year, odo, location etc.

i would get onto sites like these and have a look at what is on offer in your area.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
like most newer cars today is the complex electronics they can always give you issues but the later aloytecs have a better pcv system and easier to remove all spark plugs but you still face the cooling leaks because of the o rings failing and the thermostat is at the rear of the engine

wear and tear items like suspension components and if you need to replace the fuel sender unit that means dropping the whole rear end
and it should have a least 2 oil changes a year 7500ks or there could be sludge thats main reason why timing chains fail they need to be oiled

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Reliability of our VE with the LLT has been great, it's done 130000km so far.
The caveat with these motors is service histiory.
From my exerience and speaking to others, they are a "dirty engine" and need regular oil changes.
The 15000km recommended is too far apart, we do ours at 10000km. The theory with the timing chains is the dirtyness causes sludging in motors with high service intervals, the sludging reduces oil flow to the chain guides, chains get less oil and everything wears faster. This is why we still see LLT and LFX motors with chain issues. This is just a theory with anecdotal evidence, so take it as you will.

Drekko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore S series
Whatever you choose to buy, just make sure you’ve done your due diligence on the value of your VX before you accept the insurance company payout. That’s because it seems all used car prices have been pulled upwards due to COVID, so you may be surprised at what a VX would cost to buy should you be looking to do so…

Even if you have an agreed value policy, I’d do the homework and then discuss the matter with your insurance company. This is especially important if you’ve been with them for a while as they may not have automatically increase the listed agreed value at your last renewal to reflect the market changes (but they do decrease when it suits them…).

Something to consider… cause an extra $1kin your pocket is better than $1k less in your bank account :p:p:p

I was actually shopping for another VX commodore before I started checking out the VF
they range from about 3 to 5k

The 5k ones are good condition and the ones with bad body etc are less. Mine has some body damage hence why the insurer is telling me they will write it off but they havent told me how much yet! ?

ill try find out from the repairer. If they give me less then 3 k ill try sell privately