Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for opinions on VT-VE models

Harrys_girl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
Hi Everyone I am looking for some opinions/stories/tips from anyone who can spare a minute please.

I am trying to help my friend find a good reliable car to tow a caravan around Australia. My opinion would be that any decent condition commodore VN through to VS would do the job as long as it had the right towing set up.

My friend would prefer something a bit newer and that is where I am stuck for suggestions because I am all about the oldies lol

Can anyone tell me anything that might be helpful to know about the VT through to VE models?

I had a bad experience with a VZ Calais in the past having crazy and expensive issues, is that common in the newer models? or more likely just a case of bad luck with that car ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You can have bad luck with any car. The secret will be finding a car that is in good condition. My VE Berlina with the 4 speed auto has been the most reliable car I've ever had. But for towing long distance it would be worth looking at solid rear axle models ( non IRS ) as well. So either a lowish km VY wagon or 4 speed VE sedan just before SIDI came out.
Replace the struts and service the Auto before you leave.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I must say my May 2009 built 4 speed auto has also been absolutely faultless.
BUT, it has been properly serviced using correct fluids from new, so find any vehicle you fancy with an IMMACULATE service history when buying used.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would go with a VY or VZ V8.

VE are a great car, but the complexity of the various computer systems can be a headache when something goes wrong, to the point that many just get wrecked because of computer issues rather than the mechanical parts being a problem.

VE the pedal plate hidden behind the carpet and engine bay sound insulation can rust.

The ecotec VT-VY V6 are more reliable and easier to fix than the VZ Alloytec. The Alloytec is a better motor in many ways but it’s complexities mean they do t get fixed, they get chucked.

V8 on all models are generally way more reliable than V6.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I would go with a VY or VZ V8.

VE are a great car, but the complexity of the various computer systems can be a headache when something goes wrong, to the point that many just get wrecked because of computer issues rather than the mechanical parts being a problem.

VE the pedal plate hidden behind the carpet and engine bay sound insulation can rust.

The ecotec VT-VY V6 are more reliable and easier to fix than the VZ Alloytec. The Alloytec is a better motor in many ways but it’s complexities mean they do t get fixed, they get chucked.

V8 on all models are generally way more reliable than V6.
A V8 would be the pick but if money won’t stretch that far I would get any other V6 commodore except for the VZ and the first years of the VE where they were still sorting issues with the alloytec.

My automatic 2009 VE SV6 was reliable af up until around 300,000kms. I wouldn’t buy the SV6 again though due to the rare 5 speed automatic transmission. Either get one with a four speed auto or the later series two VE or even a VF with the six speed automatic as these boxes are more common and cheaper to replace/repair.

One thing to definitely do for towing with an automatic is add an external transmission cooler to keep the transmission cool. Excess heat from towing will kill the transmission a lot earlier otherwise.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Everyone I am looking for some opinions/stories/tips from anyone who can spare a minute please.

I am trying to help my friend find a good reliable car to tow a caravan around Australia. My opinion would be that any decent condition commodore VN through to VS would do the job as long as it had the right towing set up.

My friend would prefer something a bit newer and that is where I am stuck for suggestions because I am all about the oldies lol

Can anyone tell me anything that might be helpful to know about the VT through to VE models?

I had a bad experience with a VZ Calais in the past having crazy and expensive issues, is that common in the newer models? or more likely just a case of bad luck with that car ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers
IMO the VZ was the deadset worst commodore for reliability. The few people I know who had them had nothing but issues, mostly electrical gremlins. This was to be expected with this being the first iteration of the alloytec. I wouldn’t touch a VZ V6 with a barge pole.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Either get one with a four speed auto or the later series two VE or even a VF with the six speed automatic as these boxes are more common and cheaper to replace/repair.

One thing to definitely do for towing with an automatic is add an external transmission cooler to keep the transmission cool. Excess heat from towing will kill the transmission a lot earlier otherwise.
Sound advice there.

Take it from someone who just had their 5speed piece of shite gearbox rebuilt after two years of having it rebuilt. Ouch. Butt hurt.

An external cooler isn’t the easy job it was back in the day thanks to the GM quick fit fittings on the transmission lines.

I’m yet to find a simple ‘how to’ on this subject on any forum. Change my mind.

Also, hold my beer:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
What size caravan? I honestly dont know why in 2020 you'd subject yourself to driving a VN when there are much better driving, handling and safer vehicles out there.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VZ V8 though is a whole other ball game. A beautiful bit of machinery.

I actually prefer the VY/VZ seats and interior to the VE. The VY/VZ can have Android auto/Apple CarPlay installed in minutes almost, bringing it into the modern age compared to new cars. I’d even go as far as to say the VT-VZ seats in any iteration are a nice place to be. The best seat Holden did since the VK Calais.

Yeah, if the V6 Alloytec has been looked after, maybe. There might be 10 or 15 in Australia. The only person to have ever done an Alloytec swap was Ben Hosking when he did the never finished VP with an Alloytec. (Change my mind)

*edit: there was a crazy guy at a train station once that was trying sell a look at his Alloytec swap into his Camry in exchange for a durry and $2. No one went near him.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
What size caravan? I honestly dont know why in 2020 you'd subject yourself to driving a VN when there are much better driving, handling and safer vehicles out there.
I still miss my series one VN. That was the Buick V6 in its purest form, before they neutered it so granny’s wouldn’t wrap themselves around telephone poles with it!