Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for opinions on VT-VE models

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
What size caravan? I honestly dont know why in 2020 you'd subject yourself to driving a VN when there are much better driving, handling and safer vehicles out there.
I don’t know why anyone would subject themselves to towing a caravan but each to their own. Lol

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I still miss my series one VN. That was the Buick V6 in its purest form, before they neutered it so granny’s wouldn’t wrap themselves around telephone poles with it!
But who would buy one in 2021 to tow a caravan around the country? Might as well buy a torana ;)

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Well like I said I wouldn’t tow a caravan at all! I agree though if your going to tow a caravan you probably want a later model car to do it with.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Grandparents used to go all around Aus towing a caravan (single axle, 16ft rings a bell) with a vy acclaim.
Did alright for them.

As mentioned you want to know what size you are towing.
If its a smaller one then the commodore will be fine.
If its anything big then youde probably want to go to something more designed to tow with.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've towed caravans through the windy hills of Tas. It was fine, better than camping in a tent any day.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
What's their budget and as mentioned previously how heavy is the van? Need to think too to add a dummy weight to the weight of the van as well to allow for filling it with enough junk to get people around the country. I'd say there's likely to be better options, but if a VY/YZ/VE suits then go for it. Just make sure to add electric brakes (cheap and easy to do) for safety and a transmission cooler to help the trans cope with the constant additional load.