Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking for some Car Washing Tips for my Black Calais

AngeloVf

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Vf CalaisV
Hi all!

I am new to this forum as I recently bought my first holden 2 months ago. 2015 Vf Holden CalaisV in the black colour.

I know there are many posts about car washing on here but I wanted to make my own thread to see if I can get my specific questions answered.
I bought my Calais which came with a few minor scratches and swirl marks, especially on the bonnet of the car, as I bought the car before it was detailed for sale. After I got it detailed the car looked immaculate, glossy and mirror-like, it was amazing and it still is! However obviously as it is black it has been getting dirty very easily especially due to stupid days where it would rain for less than half an hour a day, enough to dirty the car. Ive washed it a few times since the detail, where I would just take it to a touch free car wash drive thru, and use a microfibre chamois, however I want to start washing the car myself so I know what products I am using and that they are safe for the paint

I just wanted to know, what is the best procedure for washing my black car? How often should I use wax? polish? what products and procedures should I use when washing the car every couple of weeks or monthly?

sorry if this has repeated recent threads, like I said i wanted to see if i could get specific questions answered :) also if anyone has any other tips on the calais ill be happy to hear them haha thank you!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Use the search function.
Your 'specific' questions have been answered specifically, so many times...

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I've had 2 and a 1/2 black cars......Think about that one.

I only EVERY wash a dirty car with water from the hose top to bottom and a big fat sponge. Give it a hard hose off first to clear the dust.
Then I chamois off longways never in a swirl.
I regularly chamois my car/s as needed..........Perhaps even 3 or 4 times a week. It only takes a couple of minutes.

I polish my cars at the start of every season very lightly with a damp cloth using Turtle Wax, then polish with a soft cloth....Ex white T Shirt.

May cars are ALWAYS immaculate inside and out even if I say that myself.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Black cars suffer from swirls so easily the best bet is to make sure you use nothing abrasive on them during the washing process.

Use the 2 bucket method and avoid cleaning products like sponges and use softer micro fibre cloths instead.

CCP-Detail.jpg

Check out some of the tips and videos here:

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/

Here some of what’s in the above link:

Car washing & drying using the 2 bucket method

Written details:

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/2009/09/23/washing_and_drying_using_2_bucket_method

Applying wax & sealants

Written details:

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/2009/09/28/applying_waxing_and_sealants

Cleaning wheels & tyres

Written details:

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/2009/09/28/cleaning_wheels_and_tyres

How to clay your car

Written details:

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/2009/06/29/how_to_clay_your_car

Machine polishing to achieve paint correction

Written details:

http://howto.carcareproducts.com.au/2009/09/17/machine_polishing_to_achieve_paint_correction

This is just a snippet of what's available on the internet as there is a huge amount of info from all the good detailing/cleaning product suppliers and detailing forums.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The Fluro green or orange noodle wash mitts from Repco and other places are pretty good. Just keep rinsing them off following the 2 bucket method.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If there's ever a remote chance that a dealer will wash it when you get a service or warranty repairs ... make sure they know you don't want them to!!

Eterno

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS 2015 Wagon Vf V8
I have 2 black cars and a black motor bike and have learn't a few tricks over the years and one is never let them get too dirty. I generally only use water now and then chammy off with a bucket of fresh water to occasionally rinse the chammy, I would only use car wash liquid or wax very rarely. I also sometimes use $2 at the local car wash to give it a quick rinse with spot free water. I get many comments about how on earth do you keep the black Colorado so clean. Works for me :)

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
If you have swirls you need compound to remove them not polish, polish is used after compounding to remove the haziness.
When cleaning use the two bucket technique and NEVER use a wash mitt on wheels and paint and never mix buckets. Check out AMMONYC on youtube he is a master detailer and you can learn a tonne from his videos.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If you have swirls you need compound to remove them not polish, polish is used after compounding to remove the haziness.
When cleaning use the two bucket technique and NEVER use a wash mitt on wheels and paint and never mix buckets. Check out AMMONYC on youtube he is a master detailer and you can learn a tonne from his videos.

Compounds are an overkill for swirls and only needed when trying to remove deep scratches as it’s not necessary to remove any more material from the paintwork than absolutely necessary.

When it comes to swirls it depends on how bad the marks are to which grade of polish I start with and I progress thru to a final finish formula to give the shine I’m after.

There are many quality brands on the market and the one I like is Menzerna.

newestchart1200.jpg

menzerna_paint_defect_repair_product_range.jpg

Box_Polishes.jpg

menzerna-chart-16.jpg