Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking to buy a Calais V Tourer

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by green_comet, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Chalks1971

Chalks1971 New Member

Members Ride:
    2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer

I called them out on this. I had a spreadsheet of the cars I was looking at. Told them i wanted the price for both, they said they only had one, I said well theyve got different KM.
    At the end of the day they werent keen on wheeling & dealing, neither was Brighton Holden.

I spoke to Chris & Patterson Cheney, Vermont. Told him the car I was interested in, told him the trade in vehicle details & told him my changeover figure.
    A couple of phone calls & we were close enough to make a deal sight unseen on both cars, my new car & the trade in car.

There was no issue when I actually turned up. He was a pleasure to deal with. They also had another Calais V Tourer demonstrator on the lot [Hint, Hint]

arsevee likes this.
  2. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    These people sound like serial liars - net result is that they've lost a sale to someone else. I highly recommend you take your new car into the stealership and show it to the sales manager...

I never got any real interest shown by Brighton Holden either; they were quite dismissive...

3. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V MY14 May 2014
    I found Brighton Holden would not move much in this advertised price . At times they had about 9 Calais V Tourer to sell. All about 39k with about 6k on the clock. All ex GMH cars.

4. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Review I’ve recently read praise many aspects of the ZB Calais V Tourer. However one thing of importance, for those that keep their cars for a few years, is depreciation. On that front, the ZB Calais is amongst the worst in the market and is a poor value proposition as a result. According to Redbook, ZB Calais V Tourer has a three five year retained value of a mere 17% :eek:

So no need to haggle with dealers, if they don’t want to sell at a price to entice you to hand over some cash, so be it. Simply wait three five years and then buy a used one with bugger all kms for peanuts. I’m sure there will be many low km GM executive driven vehicle about ;)

Three Five years down the track you may score such a Calais V Tourer for $9200 (new RRP $53,990 @ 17% depreciation on a 3yo = $9200) :p

(edited)
    Oops, five years depreciation is 17%, not three years as initially mentioned.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    tuckerbag likes this.
  5. kos

kos Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Lt
    In 2/3/4/5 years time electric cars will arrive and maybe year by year get to an affordable price.
    What any ice cars are worth then is a good question.
    Let’s say you pick up a zb Calais now for 32k run it for 4 years at 30 k per year. It’s worth 6 k at 4 years cost you 28 k over 4 years excluding finance cost. So that’s 7 k a year or roughly 120 a week not too bad in my book.

6. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    ^ yes don’t disagree.

However the point is that the Tourer’s projected depreciation is much worse than other similar ICE vehicles and what happened due to EV’s will impact all ICE vehicles so ‘unloved’ Tourers will still be unloved.

With the increase of affordable EV’s, two things will occur.

The first is that our government will notice the reduction of fuel excise income which will result in differential pricing of electricity those ICE vehicles will consume (smart meters will finally become very useful) OR a road usage tax will be brought into being.

The second thing that may occur is ‘smelly’ ICE vehicles become unpopular by the masses thus reducing the market size and price of ’normal’ used ICE vehicles. In this context if a Tourer has a projected abysmal depreciation rate compared to other vehicles, then it’s future achieved sale price will be even worse than expected (well again because unloved is unloved).

7. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    Is there a web site where I can see this 17% quoted? It seems pretty severe as the car will just be out of factory warranty.

8. kos

kos Member

Members Ride:
    ZB Lt
    Big changes coming with ev ,s.

Do you know why Toyota can’t supply their hybrid models to meet demand / several month waiting list.

What is the reason they can’t meet demand. Is it some component or raw material that’s an issue.

What will happen to petrol prices when Ev s arrive

9. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Z Series M6
    Skylarking is quoting Redbook, so I suggest it is available there.

10. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    Probably trying to secure non-Takata air bags...

wetwork65, Skylarking and VS 5.0 like this.
  11. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    Where on RedBook are you seeing this info - I can't find it..?

12. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    Yeah. Simple. A global shortage of Li-ion batteries.

Hyundai/Kia have a 12-month waiting list in some markets, VWAG put their releases back / throttled supply for the same reason, as have most manufacturers...

And anyway, Toyota's Hybrid sales are tanking now the Model 3 production is ramping up.

13. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    Toyota are using Ni-mH in the latest Camry Hybrid not Li-ion so that idea won't be the reason. I think there is just so much demand. Toyota recently decided to return the Camry Hybrid to the UK market. The UK have not had Toyota Camry being sold for many years . Only the Hybrid is being imported. The Lexus ES300h has been a very big selling luxury car in Australia and Toyota no longer sell a petrol only ES in oz. There is so much demand for these cars. If you took away the Hybrid sales for the Camry in Oz I don't think the camry would be a very big seller.

14. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    They started transitioning to Li-ion in 2016, 2018 models use both kinds, depending on market / model according to Toyota Japan. Li-ion has a higher capacity at lower weight, which is why other EV manufacturers use them almost exclusively.

15. rambunctious

rambunctious Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Wagon
    Brisbanes Courier Mail had this writeup in the Cars Guide liftout yesterday.

Skylarking likes this.
  16. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    If that was the issue, then nobody will be making deliveries of anything.

As is, this problem keeps getting bigger. We’ve had another suspected Australian airbag death in a BMW. This model was not meant to be impacted o_O Now there are 12,000 more BMWs 3 series on the list and there is a don’t drive recommendation. The question is what does this newly impacted airbag discovery mean to all those other not impacted manufacturers vehicles :eek:

At least the BMW owners will be able to ask for buyback according to the regulator but they should have stated the owner can get a full purchase price refund as is afforded in ACL. Ah, regulatory capture at it’s worst.
    Yeah, it’s in Cars Guide pullout which is included in lots of papers around the country but I can’t remember where I read it.

17. benny66

benny66 Benno

Members Ride:
    Here is the article

https://www.couriermail.com.au/moto...w/news-story/ff77849cec71d06b8aac68d6a1ba4fef

It seems the journalist has access to a part of r the red book we don't.

So long as you don't plan to sell the car after 5 years it rates very highly. I feel the car won't depreciate that fast. The current prices on Carsales reflect the initial big hit compared to retail.

18. arsevee

arsevee Active Member

Members Ride:
    RS-V Sportwagon
    I'm curious how he can claim a five-year trade-in value for a car that was released at the end of 2017 - so the oldest is only two years old. There's no reference on RedBook to these figures...

I suspect lazy / sensationalist / biased journalism.

19. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    I’d guess it’s a forward projection of expected depreciation rate based on general industry history and model specific 1st and 2nd year sales data which Redbook would draw on, obviously. A numbers game and not rocket science.

As I can’t get access to such Redbook data directly, I have to rely on the author reporting accurately. And remember that other than cliff type depreciation, he actually liked the car.

So it’s an estimation that’s not relevant if you keep your cars for 20 years but relevant otherwise.

20. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I think what might have a serious effect on the 5 year value will be whether the Holden brand still exists by then. Unless they come up with a world beater, or GM has a change of heart, I can see Holden going the way of Pontiac. The fact that the ZB is a virtual ex GM orphan now, with its eventual replacement so unsure, doesn't help either.

Skylarking likes this.