Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looking to buy a Calais V Tourer

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
Review I’ve recently read praise many aspects of the ZB Calais V Tourer. However one thing of importance, for those that keep their cars for a few years, is depreciation. On that front, the ZB Calais is amongst the worst in the market and is a poor value proposition as a result. According to Redbook, ZB Calais V Tourer has a three five year retained value of a mere 17% :eek:

So no need to haggle with dealers, if they don’t want to sell at a price to entice you to hand over some cash, so be it. Simply wait three five years and then buy a used one with bugger all kms for peanuts. I’m sure there will be many low km GM executive driven vehicle about ;)

Three Five years down the track you may score such a Calais V Tourer for $9200 (new RRP $53,990 @ 17% depreciation on a 3yo = $9200) :p

(edited)
Oops, five years depreciation is 17%, not three years as initially mentioned.
Where on RedBook are you seeing this info - I can't find it..?

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
...Do you know why Toyota can’t supply their hybrid models to meet demand / several month waiting list.

What is the reason they can’t meet demand. Is it some component or raw material that’s an issue...
Yeah. Simple. A global shortage of Li-ion batteries.

Hyundai/Kia have a 12-month waiting list in some markets, VWAG put their releases back / throttled supply for the same reason, as have most manufacturers...

And anyway, Toyota's Hybrid sales are tanking now the Model 3 production is ramping up.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
Toyota are using Ni-mH in the latest Camry Hybrid not Li-ion so that idea won't be the reason. I think there is just so much demand. Toyota recently decided to return the Camry Hybrid to the UK market. The UK have not had Toyota Camry being sold for many years . Only the Hybrid is being imported. The Lexus ES300h has been a very big selling luxury car in Australia and Toyota no longer sell a petrol only ES in oz. There is so much demand for these cars. If you took away the Hybrid sales for the Camry in Oz I don't think the camry would be a very big seller.

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
Toyota are using Ni-mH in the latest Camry Hybrid not Li-ion so that idea won't be the reason. I think there is just so much demand. Toyota recently decided to return the Camry Hybrid to the UK market. The UK have not had Toyota Camry being sold for many years . Only the Hybrid is being imported. The Lexus ES300h has been a very big selling luxury car in Australia and Toyota no longer sell a petrol only ES in oz. There is so much demand for these cars. If you took away the Hybrid sales for the Camry in Oz I don't think the camry would be a very big seller.
They started transitioning to Li-ion in 2016, 2018 models use both kinds, depending on market / model according to Toyota Japan. Li-ion has a higher capacity at lower weight, which is why other EV manufacturers use them almost exclusively.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Probably trying to secure non-Takata air bags...
If that was the issue, then nobody will be making deliveries of anything.

As is, this problem keeps getting bigger. We’ve had another suspected Australian airbag death in a BMW. This model was not meant to be impacted o_O Now there are 12,000 more BMWs 3 series on the list and there is a don’t drive recommendation. The question is what does this newly impacted airbag discovery mean to all those other not impacted manufacturers vehicles :eek:

At least the BMW owners will be able to ask for buyback according to the regulator but they should have stated the owner can get a full purchase price refund as is afforded in ACL. Ah, regulatory capture at it’s worst.
Brisbanes Courier Mail had this writeup in the Cars Guide liftout yesterday.
Yeah, it’s in Cars Guide pullout which is included in lots of papers around the country but I can’t remember where I read it.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V

arsevee

Reaction score
Members Ride
RS-V Sportwagon
"Industry valuer Redbook lists a Calais V Tourer’s retained value at just 17 per cent after five years/50,000km."

I'm curious how he can claim a five-year trade-in value for a car that was released at the end of 2017 - so the oldest is only two years old. There's no reference on RedBook to these figures...

I suspect lazy / sensationalist / biased journalism.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'm curious how he can claim a five-year trade-in value for a car that was released at the end of 2017 - so the oldest is only two years old. There's no reference on RedBook to these figures...

I suspect lazy / sensationalist / biased journalism.
I’d guess it’s a forward projection of expected depreciation rate based on general industry history and model specific 1st and 2nd year sales data which Redbook would draw on, obviously. A numbers game and not rocket science.

As I can’t get access to such Redbook data directly, I have to rely on the author reporting accurately. And remember that other than cliff type depreciation, he actually liked the car.

So it’s an estimation that’s not relevant if you keep your cars for 20 years but relevant otherwise.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think what might have a serious effect on the 5 year value will be whether the Holden brand still exists by then. Unless they come up with a world beater, or GM has a change of heart, I can see Holden going the way of Pontiac. The fact that the ZB is a virtual ex GM orphan now, with its eventual replacement so unsure, doesn't help either.