Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

looking to buy a series 2: what should I look out for?

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
the model year is 2012 and it has around 140K Kms.

Thanks

ps. I will have properly inspected after checking it out first.

edit1: just saw an ad for a 2011 VE series2 and the chain has been replaced? I thought these were fixed in later/SIDI models?

Last edited:

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
V6 or V8, check usual stuff, service history, rust around the edges of the doors specially along the bottom, check the colour of the oil and how full it is, top radiator hose for cracks, serpentine belt for cracks, while the engine is running watch the harmonic balancer for any wobble, any rattling, take an OBD2 plug and scan for codes, check the gearbox for smoothness when accelerating and breaking, tyre wear.

Just some of the stuff, if the previous owner/sales man tries to divert you away from something then walk away, remember first instinct is usually always right. Good luck!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Take a long look at it from the outside. **** heaps usually show up at 10 paces.
Then take a close look and feel around and under engine and box. Any pink coolant stains indicate problems.
Start it and take it for a good drive testing all the equipment along the way including AC, brakes and full throttle .
Then pop bonnet again and check radiator hose is hot and firm as, and still isn't leaking.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
the model year is 2012 and it has around 140K Kms.

Thanks

ps. I will have properly inspected after checking it out first.

edit1: just saw an ad for a 2011 VE series 2 and the chain has been replaced? I thought these were fixed in later/SIDI models?

I don't think timing chain problem is fixed at all. There's been a number of threads with VE II's with timing chain problems, often seems to be tied in with poor service history, but hard to know in every case. Personally I'd first suspect poor service history is often a problem, also tend to think that even if oil is changed that the temptation to use lower quality oil as 2 bottles of Full Synthetic probably costs about $100 however you'll still have near 3 litres left over for next change. Also if long distance between services doesn't help with these engines. At least if you get one that has had the chains changed hopefully you'll be good for 100,000 km.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I think the problem with these high-tech engines is the short trips,soccer mum dropping kids at school in the morning,picking up in the afternoon,etc,engine oil doesn't have a chance to get to optimum operating temperature which is critical for long engine life.
It not just Holden,BMW/Merc. and a lot of the latest high Tech. low emission Engines are also crippled by daily short trips.