Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looks like we've just joined the ZB Club.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Hi All. It was time to pass on our WM Caprice to a new owner after around 10 years of ownership, and clocking up 420,000km. It hasn't gone too far though, as our daughter is taking it on as her first car. We have just finalised a deal on a V6 2018 ZB Calais V. Trouble is, we can't take possession for a little while due to Covid lockdowns. In the mean time, I thought I'd ask fellow ZB owners - what was the best thing you discovered about yours that you didn't know until you bought it?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi All. It was time to pass on our WM Caprice to a new owner after around 10 years of ownership, and clocking up 420,000km. It hasn't gone too far though, as our daughter is taking it on as her first car. We have just finalised a deal on a V6 2018 ZB Calais V. Trouble is, we can't take possession for a little while due to Covid lockdowns. In the mean time, I thought I'd ask fellow ZB owners - what was the best thing you discovered about yours that you didn't know until you bought it?

mine is a rs v6 variant and the best things are how it drives and handles.

i came from a vf ssv into the zb and compared to the vf it is much nicer to drive and it made the vf feel "floaty" on the handling aspect.
most of the handling change is due to the v6 awd models having hiper strut, a five-link rear suspension and the torque vectoring on the awd system.

it performs well on country roads and is fuel efficient because of the afm in the v6.

the only really bad parts are

the headlights are a bit dull.
the start stop system can be annoying if you dont like that type of thing.
the lane assist can be annoying too as it will sometimes gently pull the wheel when it is not necessary to do so.

you can get better headlight bulbs and turn off the start stop and lane assist so they are not really that bad.

you mentioned you will be getting a calais-v so the headlights are not an issue for you because your vehicle will have the adaptive led matrix headlight system which is pretty decent and you will notice it.
the calais-v has hiper strut and the 5 link rear suspension but it has fe1(touring) which is a softer or "comfort" type of suspension so it may feel a little floaty but you should notice a clear difference to your old vehicle.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I would not call it the best thing but it was surprising today to see a message on the dash telling me my windscreen wiper fluid was low lol

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
How good LED headlights can be. You will love the matrix LED'S. I have driven other cars with LED headlights and not thought much of them but the ZB's are very impressive.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
How good LED headlights can be. You will love the matrix LED'S. I have driven other cars with LED headlights and not thought much of them but the ZB's are very impressive.

I should have added this to my comments. I went on a drive at night just to test the matrix LED system out, it's like witchcraft! I'd almost go so far as to say people should upgrade to Calais or VXR just for that judging on the comments people have made about the standard lights.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Thanks all for your comments. We picked the car up a couple of days ago and drove it back home. Yes, it is fuel efficient - I think we averaged around 7.5 litres/100km on the trip back.
Yes, the headlights are very good. Even the low beams make it look like all of the linemarking on the road has been repainted.

Overall, a very nice car to drive, based on a couple of days worth of driving, including a long night time trip.

Comparisons with our trusty old Caprice? Pro's - The ZB has a fair bit more tech, economical on fuel, very smooth and quiet (apart from road noise) and the entertainment/info system is a lot more advanced. Con's - I reckon the Caprice has slightly more accuracy on initial steering movement, it is a little quieter for road noise (probably more sound deadening and higher profile tyres) and its seat is a little more comfortable - the right side base bolster on the ZB seat doesn't seem to line up with the accelerator pedal position, so my right leg sits partly on the bolster rather than the seat base.

Overall, we're happy to have the addition of the ZB, and also happy to retain the Caprice in the family - it has been a fantastic car for us for 10 years.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I took a while to get used the the seating in the ZB but I find it quite good now. The choice of tyre may affect the road noise though as you say the lower profile tyres don't help.

I looked closely at a Calais demonstrator. In the end I decided I couldn't live with the sunroof (wind noise especially with the blind open and potential leaks in the future) and I didn't particularly want the the 20" rims though the dealer most likely would have swapped those out for me.

The one thing I would have really liked is the InteliLux matrix LED headlights. While I find the halogen lights OK the tech of the LED lights has received very good reviews and I like that sort of smart tech. The 360 degree camera was also quite cool and it would be nice to have the electric seat for the front seat passenger.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Thanks all for your comments. We picked the car up a couple of days ago and drove it back home. Yes, it is fuel efficient - I think we averaged around 7.5 litres/100km on the trip back.
Yes, the headlights are very good. Even the low beams make it look like all of the linemarking on the road has been repainted.

Overall, a very nice car to drive, based on a couple of days worth of driving, including a long night time trip.

Comparisons with our trusty old Caprice? Pro's - The ZB has a fair bit more tech, economical on fuel, very smooth and quiet (apart from road noise) and the entertainment/info system is a lot more advanced. Con's - I reckon the Caprice has slightly more accuracy on initial steering movement, it is a little quieter for road noise (probably more sound deadening and higher profile tyres) and its seat is a little more comfortable - the right side base bolster on the ZB seat doesn't seem to line up with the accelerator pedal position, so my right leg sits partly on the bolster rather than the seat base.

Overall, we're happy to have the addition of the ZB, and also happy to retain the Caprice in the family - it has been a fantastic car for us for 10 years.

Do you ever look back at the ZB after you've parked it and walked away? I bet you did with the Caprice. Also was the WM a V6 or 6.0? Just curious.