Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looks like we've just joined the ZB Club.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Agree with all the comments above. 9 speed auto and the V6 combines very nicely. On sustained full throttle acceleration in sport mode the gear changes are very quick. Its also happy to loaf along. I use adaptive cruise control a lot. Matrix LED's are absolutely awesome. Bose Stereo is pretty decent, key here is to have a good quality input source. I copied my CD's onto a USB stick and the sound reproduction using that method is superb.

Heated seats in the cold winter of N.Z. are so good sometimes I take the long road home just to stay really nice and hot in my seat for a bit longer. Handling even with the tourer suspension of the Calais V is very good.
I really don't have a clue what I would replace this vehicle with for anything like what I paid for it brand new, just over $N.Z..$50K as nothing comes close for similar money.

If I had to single one thing out above all else that's been an unexpected pleasure, for me the best thing of all I am really enjoying is the advantages of all wheel drive. Pulling out of intersections into gaps in the traffic on a wet winter's day has never been safer or more drama free. Awesome system around town on slippery roads in winter and is something I have really come to love so much I'd be very reluctant to go back to a 2WD vehicle. The strength of the heated seats is a close second and the matrix headlights are right off the charts in terms of brightness !

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
Brettly, Our WM was a V6. While a V8 would have been a fun car to have, we didn't need it for a family car, and if I feel the need for - well, you know!! - I have a few other toys for that. Originally I had my heart set on a Series 2 WN in either Regal Peacock or Some Like it Hot red, but the second hand prices just got stupid. In the end, it was the comfort and safety tech that swung me around to the ZB, even though I wasn't really a fan of the appearance. That, and the fact that the price stayed reasonable, while the Caprice prices shot up by $10k. The ZB we got is a Darkmoon blue one, which is a really nice colour.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
Agree with all the comments above. 9 speed auto and the V6 combines very nicely. On sustained full throttle acceleration in sport mode the gear changes are very quick. Its also happy to loaf along. I use adaptive cruise control a lot. Matrix LED's are absolutely awesome. Bose Stereo is pretty decent, key here is to have a good quality input source. I copied my CD's onto a USB stick and the sound reproduction using that method is superb.

Heated seats in the cold winter of N.Z. are so good sometimes I take the long road home just to stay really nice and hot in my seat for a bit longer. Handling even with the tourer suspension of the Calais V is very good.
I really don't have a clue what I would replace this vehicle with for anything like what I paid for it brand new, just over $N.Z..$50K as nothing comes close for similar money.

If I had to single one thing out above all else that's been an unexpected pleasure, for me the best thing of all I am really enjoying is the advantages of all wheel drive. Pulling out of intersections into gaps in the traffic on a wet winter's day has never been safer or more drama free. Awesome system around town on slippery roads in winter and is something I have really come to love so much I'd be very reluctant to go back to a 2WD vehicle. The strength of the heated seats is a close second and the matrix headlights are right off the charts in terms of brightness !
I agree about the heated seats, including the option to have them come on in remote start! And being tall, the auto seat retract when you open the driver's door makes it so much easier to get out of and into the car.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
A Calais V in Darkmoon blue is the best looking of all ZBs IMO. Enjoy

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
:cool::)
I like that. WN Caprice was still my first choice car wise, but the tech level in the ZB Calais V - plus the lack of price increase of the WN due to the COVID and “Last of the V8s” taxes made the ZB the better value. The look of the ZB is growing on me.

ads_german

Reaction score
Just switched from a VF SV6 into a VXR last week. Loving the upgrade - lots of things like it being a bit quicker, better exhaust note, having better handling, creature comforts like rain sensing wipers and radar cruise I was expecting in advance, but still very much enjoying.

The surprises I didn't know about that have been nice are little luxuries like the seats auto-retracting when you switch off and open the door, auto-dipping mirrors in reverse, just how good the heated seats are and that they can be set to come on automatically in cold weather/remote start (I was expecting to find them more gimmicky, but lover them so far, as do my kids).

I totally get that traditionalists bag the ZB compared to Aussie-built models, especially as a top-tier SS-V replacement, but treated as it should be (IMO), which is an SV6 replacement, it shits on the VF. I've owned a VL, VT, VZ and VF prior, and would call myself a Holden tragic, but I don't agree with all the naysayers - I think the ZB (in VXR spec at least) is a great car for the money.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I'm probably at least as Holden tragic as you. I've owned a Commodore continuously since they came on the market here in 1979. VB, VC, VL, VY, ZB, and my wife has a VE.

Like you I think the ZB needs to be compared to the SV6. Having said that go and look at the engine specs for the likes of the VY SS and even the A9X Torana. The 3.6 V6 in the ZB has more power.

There is no doubt on a typical country road the ZB would be quicker and more comfortable than either of those cars. In fact I think many of the later V8's would be stretched by the V6 ZB.

Have a read of this article, I think it sums up the ZB VXR pretty well. https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2018-holden-commdore-vxr-review/

Even in the RSV spec which I have, the ZB is excellent value and performance for the Money.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Just switched from a VF SV6 into a VXR last week. Loving the upgrade - lots of things like it being a bit quicker, better exhaust note, having better handling, creature comforts like rain sensing wipers and radar cruise I was expecting in advance, but still very much enjoying.

Thank you for your review, it was exactly what I have been waiting for.

I'm going to bang my old drum again and suggest you check out the matrix LED headlights at night, just make sure they are enabled first. ;)