Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Looks like we've just joined the ZB Club.

ads_german

Reaction score
Have a read of this article, I think it sums up the ZB VXR pretty well. https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-reviews/2018-holden-commdore-vxr-review/

Even in the RSV spec which I have, the ZB is excellent value and performance for the Money.

Yeah I'd agree that article is a pretty fair summary for the most part. I was weighing up the VXR against a Skoda Superb, VW Arteon or a Stinger, so would love if the VXR had a bit more straight line poke, but overall it's a great package.

The RSV is probably better value, but I couldn't go past the 20s and adjustable dampers of the VXR.

ads_german

Reaction score
I'm going to bang my old drum again and suggest you check out the matrix LED headlights at night, just make sure they are enabled first. ;)
Yeah, I still need to play with settings to enable that magic high beam mode, but even on standard they illuminate really well.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Yeah, I still need to play with settings to enable that magic high beam mode, but even on standard they illuminate really well.

See pages 131-135 of the manual. Note it's quite clever and won't activate if there is too much ambient light.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Like you I think the ZB needs to be compared to the SV6. Having said that go and look at the engine specs for the likes of the VY SS and even the A9X Torana. The 3.6 V6 in the ZB has more power.

But how much more does it weigh than those two?

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Like you I think the ZB needs to be compared to the SV6. Having said that go and look at the engine specs for the likes of the VY SS and even the A9X Torana. The 3.6 V6 in the ZB has more power.

It weighs more but is also quicker.

Curb weights
VY SS ~ 1630 kg, A9X ~ 1250 kg, ZB VXR 1737 kg

O-100
VY SS 7.3 secs , A9X 7.1 secs, ZB VXR 6.1 secs

and if you stuck it on 1970s rubber? Or a manual gearbox?

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV

and if you stuck it on 1970s rubber? Or a manual gearbox?

What's your point? The VY SS wasn't on 1970's rubber and it's heavier and slower than the A9X.

The real point is no matter which way you look at it the ZB runs rings around the old V6 Commodores. It's not till you start getting into the 6.0 litre V8's that the road going V8's were any quicker. Even then the ZB is probably quicker on a lot of the windy roads.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
What's your point? The VY SS wasn't on 1970's rubber and it's heavier and slower than the A9X.

The real point is no matter which way you look at it the ZB runs rings around the old V6 Commodores. It's not till you start getting into the 6.0 litre V8's that the road going V8's were any quicker. Even then the ZB is probably quicker on a lot of the windy roads.

You are comparing a late 2010s car (with subsequent engine, gearbox and rubber developments) to 20/50 year older cars, with different targets for performance.

My point is comparing over those timescales is pointless.
Might as well say how much better the AC is in a ZB than the Model T....

A VF/ZB (or VE/VF) comparison is always more pertinent, due to the proximity of the generations.