Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loose Driver Side Door Lock

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hi, the lock on the driver side door of my wife's VS Clubsport is very loose/wobbly. Central locking works fine. Only need to use the key when I turn the deadlock feature on and off for the additional security. The other day I had a lot of difficulty getting the deadlock off because of the looseness of the lock. Has any member had similar problem and solved it? I don't want to pull the lock off and then find there is nothing that can be done to tighten it up.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Honestly mine is the same, however I haven't bothered trying to resolve it. I'll keep an eye on this thread

bevzan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
I had to remove my lock last week to repin it, was sick of not having a working key for that door
. The lock is held in with a wire clip, sounds like the clip is coming loose.
Pull off door skin to access door handle. Slide handle retaining clip to release the door handle. Move door handle out and around a bit , wiggle it so it kind of falls out (i didnt have to disconnect any rods except the one connected to the lock) you should see the lock and the clip. to remove the lock unclip locking rod, remove clip and the lock falls out To refit the lock,, fit the metal wire clip into handle first then just press the lock in place till it clicks and will be in there solid. you may need a new clip

Make sure the rubber door handle seal is in place correctly before putting back together as handle will not sit or seat properly without it Take your time with the handle slide clip and make sure its locked in both places. Its fiddley but easy once you get the nang of it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks. Will give it a go. Also found the attached instructions in the Holden VR/VS Factory Workshop manual:

Attachments

• 2.12 Door Lock Cylinder Assembly.pdf
    194.3 KB · Views: 204

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unfortunately, had to admit defeat on this one. Removed the handle retaining clip OK, but couldn't get the door handle off internally. Seemed like the window channel was in the way. Decided to cut my losses since I was starting to damage the top of the door handle. Put everything back together and will just use the central locking/unlocking and no deadlocking. After replacing door actuators, replacing rivets on windows regulators and now this, I am completely over VS Commodore doors.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
After replacing door actuators, replacing rivets on windows regulators and now this, I am completely over VS Commodore doors.
They are a bit of a bitch. Took me weeks to sort out the window issue on the ute.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, silly me decided to try this again, given that I also had problems with creaking and a possible faulty speaker in the same door. Managed to get everything apart this time, but found that the clip was OK but the lock and associated bits were just loose from old age (batting 0/1). Checked the door stay but everything appeared to be ok, lubricated thoroughly but still creaking (batting 0/2). Tested the speaker but everything was working OK, need to look for the problem elsewhere (batting 0/3).

Came time to reassemble everything. Attached door handle outer part, attached door handle inner part, tried to install the lock assembly that has the electrical lock connection and fastening slider, and no way cannot I get it to fit. Tried for hours today (batting 0/4). Can anyone help - what am I doing wrong?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Finally worked out how to get everything back together. Then had to pull it apart again because a spring that's not shown in the workshop manual had come loose and dropped down inside the door. Fixed that, then had to pull everything apart again because I had taken off the lock rod and you can't replace it once everything is together. Fixed that, now I'm not happy with the way that the top of the gasket is sitting, so take four tomorrow or the day after. Spring location in attached picture.

Attachments

• VS Front Door Handle Spring.jpg
    VS Front Door Handle Spring.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 93

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, had to take it apart again three or four times but finally got the gasket to sit down correctly yesterday (Christmas day). Spent the afternoon today replacing the door card and associated bits and pieces. Took the opportunity to install some sound deadener in the door that I had hanging around for the last 20 years. However, all said and done, I wouldn't recommend anyone undertake this exercise unless it's really, really, necessary, and certainly not for purely cosmetic reasons (eg. fancy door handles).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah with what you have gone through, I really don't want to tackle it myself just to go colour coded levers. I will remove the trims and get a panel beater to fit the levers.