Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loose wire from plug connector under steering wheel for Trip Computer

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
My brother has a VP and he found a loose wire from under the steering wheel which connects to the trip computer underneath....

it is a Orange/white wire...its just come loose from the plug and I have looked at wiring diagrams but no hope where its supposed to connect

It came loose because he replaced the dash surround a few months back and had to remove/refit that plug.

and the trip computer doesn't show anything anymore which we believe is because of this wire....If somebody could please tell me where it supposed to be that would be great...there is about 5 positions it could be

Orange/White Wire Loose.... The plug is directly going up into the dash
2zsnrxh.jpg

See plug is at the very top and you can see the Fuse Box which is located under the steering wheel
2pr9307.jpg

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
looks like theres some non genuine spaghetti under there. does it have an after market alarm or keyless entry? id try to back track that wire, see where it goes. looks like a hot mess...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Looking at the dash wiring diagram in the workshop manual, the only Orange/white wire going to/from the dash is for the high beam indicator, this wire runs from fuse number 1 to the high beam indictaor light and also goes to the trip computer (where fitted).

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Only aftermarket item is the Trailer Brakes and that's it... that's what you see on the left of the 2nd picture with relays for it....

I already know where the wire is for...It's for the Trip Computer plug but don't know exact pin it should be in...

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
it should be next to the pink/black wire
41051d1191110626-tripin-5-dash-2.jpg

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you, exactly what I'm after...

Actually I just found this on this forum....it says VN dash but my plug has a green wire next to it but still the same either way....
18087d1148130275-converting-vn-calais-dash-my-vn-dash-wiring.jpg

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
So I put in the Orange/White wire in the correct place but now it shows I have to put in a 'btn code'.... I don't understand what code this is? and there is a beep sound that goes off constantly so I had to remove it... anyone know what a btn code is?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
Try putting the trip computer into diagnostic mode by holding set button down before turning key to on position and see what happens it should come up with a speed display , a fuel display and a dtn display..wait for it to settle and press mode switch and a new group of windows come up...press mode again and all the displays come up and beeper sounds...turn key off and its done.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
It already comes up to diagnostic mode as it displays 'speed' 'fuel' and 'BTN'.... I tried it anyway but nothing changes.... The BTN Display has 'BTN - - -' if I press mode button it pops up a zero on the last dash.... but unable to do anything else...

also I have been informed that the dash is the same one (I thought my brother replaced the dash trip computer) My brother only replaced the dash surround... and the car was sitting for 4 months so battery died but replaced since

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
try unplugging the button module to see if any buttons are stuck on?