Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

loosing coolant and oil in water

Turrum

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
Hey Guys
I am just wanting to know if anybody knows, within the radiator where the trans hoses connect and run internally, if this can leak trans fluid into the coolant, within the radiator, as i appear to have oil here.
I have checked underneath the oil cap and no condensation, no water on the sticks,tran or oil. I have checked the engine over entirly after pressure built up and no external leaks. I have checked the heater within the car. I have run the engine with the cap off and waited for the thermostat to open and no air bubbles. I am only left (possibly) with this option, i just wanted to let you to know i have checked the rest. The oil is the main issue though, has anybody experineced this before??????????. The oil looks light enough to be trans, but is hard to tell??????

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I would think if it were trans fluid then they'red be issues of slipping / overreving with the trans in gear due to loss of pressure in the lines as it leaks...have you noticed anything like that ?

Turrum

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
I have not experienced any slipping as such, and the trans fluid level has not moved, same for the oil. I forgot to mention it is a series two and has the front trans cooler, but the pipes connect to the radiator, before returning to the trans. I read another post and have seen like slimy rust- it is somewhat like this.I have rubbed it between my figers and it feels slimy, I have also smelt it and could not determine origin via scent. I also read it could be the valley gasket ??????????

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The trans oil cooler can leak internally but its pretty rare. If it does it can cause real problems as the wayer will boil in the transmission plus degrade the oil. You haven't said just how much oil is present - is it just an oil film or can you dip your finger in the coolant and have oil on your finger. Its common to have an oily rusty gooey deposit under the radiator cap caused by one of a dozen things...bit like rusty mayonaisse. Radiator shops can analyse your coolant to tell if a gasket is leaking or not. Good Luck.

Turrum

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
I had assumed on the series 2 the trans oil cooler is external and a separate unit as the lines run to a front unit resembling an oil cooler of some sort, it is small. It is thicker than an oil film, it is in small globules floating around and also on the cap. It sort of looks like rusty oily film, not the meky film of oil mixed ?????? is it poss- trans. As suggested will have to get a pressure test and put on the thingy that changes colour if their is the presence of exhaust emissions etc in the coolant. Thanks so far for your help, any further suggestions are really appreciated:thumbsup:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Also try cleaning the cap completely and also the neck where the cap goes in and then run it for a day or two to see if it comes back. The proper official GMH coolant fill includes 6 or so 'tablets' which are supposed to lubricate the waterpump and the residue from these tablets can have the appearance of rusty oil around the radiator cap. The series 2 VS has an internal and also an external oil cooler - I think the hot oil goes thru the radiator cooler and then the external cooler but I could be wrong.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Also try cleaning the cap completely and also the neck where the cap goes in and then run it for a day or two to see if it comes back. The proper official GMH coolant fill includes 6 or so 'tablets' which are supposed to lubricate the waterpump and the residue from these tablets can have the appearance of rusty oil around the radiator cap. The series 2 VS has an internal and also an external oil cooler - I think the hot oil goes thru the radiator cooler and then the external cooler but I could be wrong.

Exactly what hako said. That muck comes from coolant pellets that holden use to supposedly lubricate the water pump. Nothing to worry about.