Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loosing coolant in 5 ltr

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Got this leak that is hard to trace that has appeared in the last couple of weeks. It seems to start after the car has stood in the garage for a couple of days i.e. not when its hot and seems to come from behind the a/c unit as it drips from around its mounting bracket. I'm hoping it's not a welsh plug :cry:, but maybe it's coming from the head gasket ??? Anyone seen this before or have any ideas of where its coming from ?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
more than likely you intake manifold gasket leaking around the coolant galleries, theres a thin spot right at the front of the gaskets which break when corroded and leak down the front of the block.

have a look under the heater tap at the manifold and block mating surface

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Thanks appreciate your help as I reckon you have got it in one :thumbsup:. You can see coolant weeping from the front driver side corner between the intake manifold and block (basically just as you described). I just went out and bought a gasket kit for both sides and 2 rubber seals which I will work out where they go when I pull the manifold out. Pardon my ignorance as I have never pulled a V8 inlet manifold out before, once it is out is there anything else that is worth refurbishing/replacing ???