Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loosing power and going to high revs

phuecn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Vacationer
Hi there,

My VS (1997) is loosing power, particularly in lower gears (it's an auto). When in normal economy mode, (i.e. not PWR) it will not change out of first until it hits about 3000 revs/min. I'm not applying an excessive amount of gas. I have been noticing it getting worse and worse over the past few weeks.

When I switch to PWR mode it runs better, although I don't seem to have the power I used to have in this mode, it changes gears a lot quicker and like it would normally do.

Also, the engine light came on the other day, but went back off this morning.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any ideas?

Some more info:
~200,000km total (no it hasn't been round the clock ;))
Always use 91

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Transmission could be low on line pressure.... If so expect the clutches to burn up fairly quickly.

Andy 101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs exec
Hi there,

My VS (1997) is loosing power, particularly in lower gears (it's an auto). When in normal economy mode, (i.e. not PWR) it will not change out of first until it hits about 3000 revs/min. I'm not applying an excessive amount of gas. I have been noticing it getting worse and worse over the past few weeks.

When I switch to PWR mode it runs better, although I don't seem to have the power I used to have in this mode, it changes gears a lot quicker and like it would normally do.

Also, the engine light came on the other day, but went back off this morning.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any ideas?

Some more info:
~200,000km total (no it hasn't been round the clock ;))
Always use 91

Have you checked the fluid level?

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Might be worth checking TPS as well

Koza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
I had i similar problem with my car, It would high-rev before changing gears (not thrashing it at all) and wouldnt have much power, turns out the previous owner hadnt serviced it for about 4 years so the tranny need a good service. Fixed it right up for me. hope this helps