Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loosing water but no obvious leaks

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
My 1999 VT equip is loosing lots of water but there is none pooling or dripping under the car and the oil is not the typical milky chocolate you get when it leaks in, so I am suspecting its the manifold gasket(s)... any other likely exit routes ?

Sid

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
how have you checked the oil? as the only other place that much water could go without being noticeable on ground is the inlet manifold, and if you are checking the dipstick before running the engine all you will see is oil as it floats on water once it sits in engine and separates start the car for 2 mins then check the dipstick or the oil cap to see for the milky stuff to make sure its not just the inlet manifolds

z900collector

Reaction score
Members Ride
99VT 99VSUTE
I've only checked it via the dip stick both before and after a short warmup and the last oil change was fine when it was starting to show water loss... I'm tending to think its inlet manifolds, replaced the gaskets several years ago so they may have failed earlier than expected..

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
well if you checked after a start then yer inlet manifolds while doing them you might as well do the head gaskets and valve stem seals full VRS kit with head bolts from mace are pretty cheap

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
???? Do head gaskets because the inlet gaskets are stuffed?

Don't touch the head gaskets unless there is a reason to.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agreed V6 head gaskets are normally pretty good. It could be leaking from the seal plate at the back of the engine.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Check the inlet manifold bolts , they have a habit of coming undone.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
My 1999 VT equip is loosing lots of water but there is none pooling or dripping under the car and the oil is not the typical milky chocolate you get when it leaks in, so I am suspecting its the manifold gasket(s)... any other likely exit routes ?

Sid

Your not necessarily loosing water, but consuming it without you knowing.
[probably constant steam/condensation out of the exhaust]
I had the exact same problem, and doing the LIM Gaskets and flushed the motor a fair few times to get the gunk out,
and it’s not losing/consuming water now.

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
???? Do head gaskets because the inlet gaskets are stuffed?

Don't touch the head gaskets unless there is a reason to.
it was just a suggestion while at it with a rely good brand recommended by this site as he needs to do lim gaskets assuming he gets it done at a mechanics a mace vrs kit will sort the lims and seal the exhaust as mentioned here:
Your not necessarily loosing water, but consuming it without you knowing.
[probably constant steam/condensation out of the exhaust]
I had the exact same problem, and doing the LIM Gaskets and flushed the motor a fair few times to get the gunk out,
and it’s not losing/consuming water now.
and heads don't have to come off for that but a bugger of a job to do so he might as well get head gaskets as what mechanic will do a valve stem seal while on the block , once the lims and the stem seals are done should be good on water unless it boils due to water pump or thermostat problems or a blocked water jacket a prity common thing on holden v6 and v8 engines so that is why i suggested to get a mace vrs kit with head bolts there only about $250 while head are off mechanic can check them.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
You only need slight hidden wear in h/gasket at just one water port to cylinder due to age/wear as well...... just like small inlet gasket wear/leak to exhaust chamber from next door water port as others have mentioned