Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's 1976 Yamaha RD 400

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
First session for the day, i have decided to be in the slow group. I find this is where I am most comfortable. I can pick up my speed if i want but don't have to go sick, like i would in the next class up.
Good thing is the weather is great, plenty of sun getting my tyres hot.
I might try and get some footage next session. Ideally I'd like some distance between me and the next bike. I have been sitting behind some slower riders than me and haven't been able to push it a little more each lap. I'm only allowed to overtake on the straights but if i do I'd probably end up in the pack.
I'm still not as fast as I'd like to be in the shekane but the exit is my nemesis. I feel too close to the gravel and if i hit it i will be on a lean and slide for sure. I have another sess soon, so it will be interesting to see how i go and whether i can work out the gear i need to be in better than I do now. I am sometimes dropping down one too many and am at 8k by the time i exit some corners. Ideally I'd like to increase corner speed and try to stay just on the edge of powerband around 7k, through the corner and then have another 2k up my sleeve as i exit, then shift up soon as i am upright.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Enjoying your posts Losh.
Have fun.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Forgot to turn the camera on. Have to remember for first sess after lunch.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20191208_153226_resized.jpg

Finally been able to get the power down to the wheel and feel safe. Today was the first time since riding at Symmonds that i have been able to get the tyres to ball up. When you start seeing balls of rubber on the tyre surface you know you're starting to push it around the corners. Bit hard to see in the photo but the left side is furred up nice. Whereas the right side which doesn't get much work barely roughs up at all. I managed to get my speed up and keep it on the edge of powerband wher i wanted it, coming onto the short straight. This sweeper is my favourite corner. This corner i am able to come in pretty hard and exit in probably third gear and just on the edge of powerband.
20191208_154948_resized.jpg

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
When I used to track my VK at Barbagello, there would be rolls of rubber on the edge of each tread block after 5 laps.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Looks like an aursome aursome day weather wise.
Looks like having a great time

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I love the sound of a stroker in the morning. I can even smell it.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Should add, I've had a few "strokers".
Several jet ski strokers, and even a Yamaha GPR 1200 with power valves.
Back last century I had a truly wonderful and immaculate Bultaco Metralla......Oh God.......Why did I ever sell that?