Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's 1976 Yamaha RD 400

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by losh1971, May 28, 2018.

1. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    yeah it negotiable at worst on bikes, use a good anti seize grease and nylon washers and keep it clean....the nickel plated ones last a few months in harsh enviroments and the bloody chrome ones tend to peel if you lean on em to hard with a spanner.....

2. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    There's a place in Burton, S.A, that sells chrome nuts, bolts and washers.....Holla if you want the details of the place...(Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but not hard to find it out, as it's 10 minutes away from me)

losh1971 likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    Richardson's H-D should stock various dome nuts (no metric though, as I assume 76 is pre metric maybe).

4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    All metric on the RD. I will try Nuts & Bolts tomorrow, failing them I will try Suzuki's out at Invermay. If I luck out at both those there is always eBay now that I know thanks to Wozza.

5. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    Huh? I linked to allen head bolt buttons.....no dome nuts :)
    they change this 20.jpg to this

201.jpg

losh1971 likes this.
  6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    ace bars.jpg I thought the kits had nuts as well. I was wondering how those covers were going to work. I don't have Ace bars, or flat bars like yours Wozza, I have clip-ons. If I was to use the triple clamps as they were originally meant to be I would need Ace bars to get myself low enough over the front wheel like I need to be. When the bike was on the road I had these above.

Deuce likes this.
  7. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    Na mate misunderstanding :) the plugs are for any allen head bolts you have on the bike they come in many sizes...ties in the dome nuts and allen head bolts..the bar clamp is the only place Ive used em so far,still have to do the foot pegs mounts, muffler bolts ect...was thinking doing the case allen head bolts as well but that would look like over kill and cost a mint.....

8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I no longer have bar clamps and would have bucklies of ever finding some if i needed them. My bike is race track only fancy bits are just extra weight that i don't need. I do like the look of them though.

9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I used to own 4, 400s, 25 years ago. I sold everything i had except my race bike for 200 bucks. Would be nice to have all those spares now. So rare and the stupidist of parts sell for a mint on eBay.

10. Wozza

Wozza Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    You do know dome nuts weigh a bit more than standard nuts ;)

losh1971 likes this.
  11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    So I can get nickel plated brass nuts, which look like chrome. I can buy zinc bolts but am leaning towards stainless. I think I should be ok and not get corrosion on the fork tubes, as the contact is not direct. Heading in tomorrow with my samples.

12. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Finished priming the seat. Today i have just given its final wet rub. Ready for a thick coat of enamel with hardener. Be next Sunday before I get it painted then about 4-6 weeks after that for the paint will reach full hardness. 20190114_145319.jpg

Deuce likes this.
  13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    20190120_212932.jpg got the seat painted. Had a tiny bug land on it so i need to buff him out, once the paint fully hardens in around three weeks. 20190120_212944.jpg started piecing some more of the bike back together this evening. I got about 1hr of assembly but it took me 5hrs. Just takes forever when everything needs cleaning and lubing. Reckon i spent over an hour fitting the rear wheel and checking chain alignment, only to find out i need to have my wheel spacers altered again. Back wheel is still off to the right. I really need 3mm off the left spacer and 3mm added to the right spacer. Best i can hope for is 2mm off left and add 2mm to the right one. Just don't have the clearances i need on the left side to go any more. PITA i didn't get the spacers correct because I'm too far from and machinist to have them altered until after the long weekend. Probably concentrate on polishing this week and that will be about it. As the back wheel needs to be sorted before I can mount the rear brakes and other bits.