Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's 1976 Yamaha RD 400

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I can get nickel plated brass nuts, which look like chrome. I can buy zinc bolts but am leaning towards stainless. I think I should be ok and not get corrosion on the fork tubes, as the contact is not direct. Heading in tomorrow with my samples.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Finished priming the seat. Today i have just given its final wet rub. Ready for a thick coat of enamel with hardener. Be next Sunday before I get it painted then about 4-6 weeks after that for the paint will reach full hardness.
20190114_145319.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20190120_212932.jpg
got the seat painted. Had a tiny bug land on it so i need to buff him out, once the paint fully hardens in around three weeks.
20190120_212944.jpg
started piecing some more of the bike back together this evening. I got about 1hr of assembly but it took me 5hrs. Just takes forever when everything needs cleaning and lubing. Reckon i spent over an hour fitting the rear wheel and checking chain alignment, only to find out i need to have my wheel spacers altered again. Back wheel is still off to the right. I really need 3mm off the left spacer and 3mm added to the right spacer. Best i can hope for is 2mm off left and add 2mm to the right one. Just don't have the clearances i need on the left side to go any more. PITA i didn't get the spacers correct because I'm too far from and machinist to have them altered until after the long weekend. Probably concentrate on polishing this week and that will be about it. As the back wheel needs to be sorted before I can mount the rear brakes and other bits.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Got some more of the RD back together. I dismantled the calipers, cleaned and reassembled. Also gave them a fresh coat of paint. Spent a fair bit of time working on the rear wheel centreing. I think i have finally got it right. I realised that the left spacer was too thick, thus it was causing the swingarm to spread on either side. So it was actually not helping much with getting the wheel centred. I ended up using a thick washer on the left side and drilling of the centre hole bigger on the drill press. Now I have a different clearance issue. The bolts that hold the sprocket on are hitting on the parts that keep the tension on the rear wheel and also keep it straight. Chain is still out and i now need to skim it down 1.5mm, which should make it run dead straight, or very close. I also need to shave 1mm off the sprocket bolts. I am aiming for 3mm of clearance. I would like more but to achieve that i would need to off centre the wheel to the right. I'm getting close to the stage now where I can not do a great deal more. I need tyres but until I can afford my race licence and club membership i don't want to fit new tread and have them become hard before i get some decent track time.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So wheel off wheel on again another 5 times and i think i have finally worked out what i need to do. With the really thin spacer i created a new issue with the sprocket bolts hitting. Therefore I now want to shave the outside face of the rear sprocket down 1.5mm. I need to have a new axle spacer made at 3.5mm. I also need to fit button head 8mm bolts for the sprocket. In theory then everything should line up. As for centreing the rear wheel i am sitting about 1 or 2mm towards the right. I reckon that will be as good as it gets, as i will have more clearance issues with the sprocket bolts if i try to get it perfect. Having said that this will be the best i have ever had it since fitting the TZ 350 rear wheel. I think handling wise i shouldnt notice any difference to if if it was perfect.
20190122_141818.jpg

Attachments

• 20190122_141836.jpg
    20190122_141836.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Almost got the RD back together. I ordered a tank rubber from Sumo Rubber and that arrived the other day. I also ordered a set of tacho dampers but they sent me some for a RD LC. Emailed them and they are going to send me the correct ones no charge.
I went to pick up my rear sprocket and wheel spacer yesterday but i think he was at the pub already as it was 3pm on a Friday. Bummer because I really want to see if i can finally get the chain alignment perfect and the rear wheel centred as best as it can get.
Really hanging to get the bike completely finished and ready to ride. I reckon however that will be another three months due to needing tyres. I am considering buying the rear tyre first just so i can get the bike pretty much finished. Then a month or two later get the front tyre. I really want Avon race tyres but I need to buy them from the States and have them shipped by a friend or fam as i can't find a Co who will ship to Aust.
20190216_104817.jpg

While i was in the shed i did look at my GT mountain bike and think, hmmmmm 250 bucks right there.... That would buy me a rear tyre for the RD. But I'm a bit reluctant to sell it as i would never get another decent mountain bike. Although it hasn't been ridden for three years I'm still attached as it's a bloody good bike.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bit the bullet and ordered a Dunlop TT900GP rear tyre. Got it for just under 180 bucks with free delivery. Also went to another site and bought two new tubes as the rear one had some slight perishing from where the tyre had flat, from years of sitting around. Probably would have been ok but for 18 bucks delivered its just not worth the risk when you're leaning over doing 170kph on a sweeping bend. By ordering the front tube i ended up with free freight. The front tyre keeps going flat so the tube is probably knackered. I was planning on taking the wheel in and seeing if the bike shop would fit and balance the tyre for me. But I thought I've changed tyres years ago and in under 15 mins i had the old tyre off the rim. Tried breaking the bead with my feet but it was too hard. Then i thought i will try the press and a 200mm metal block. Perfect worked a treat. Reckon I will fit the new tyre to the rim myself and just get it balanced. So hopefully by the next time i head home which will be in about 10 days i might be able to refit the rear wheel and get the bike almost ready to ride. All i will need then is to change the front tyre and renew the gearbox oil and it will be good to go.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20190222_083919.jpg
I have my tyre a few days earlier than expected. Now I just need the inner tube and i can fit it. Hopefully i get the tube by Mon then i can have it balanced on Tuesday with a bit of luck.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Looks similar to a gt501 dunlop. Nice.

Why not balance yourself? (Let me know if you haven't done that before and I'll explain)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
10 bucks for a balance. I don't have the balancing stand to set it up in. TT900GP race tyre compound. Hanging out to get it on the bike so i can check everything and hopefully have it pretty close to centre. Thinking it should only be 2mm off centre with the new spacer and modified sprocket ready to go on.