Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's 1976 Yamaha RD 400

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Heading out to the track next weekend. I got may race licence about a week ago. Hoping I can get a vid to upload. Not sure who else on here races post classic but I am trying to figure out a starting point for tyre pressures and Google seems to have very little. Wondering if anyone on here has an idea of a good starting point. Running TT900GPs. 90/90/18 front and 120/80/18 rear. Bike weighs about 120kg with a full tank and I weigh around 91kg now. I used to run 24 in the front and about 25 in the rear but it's too squirmy at those pressures. However I think low 30s might be getting too tight, not really sure? I tried calling Racebike Services, in Lonsdale who set up my suspension but they were close this arvo.
Go up 2psi and see how it feels. I tend to adjust 2psi at a time when at the track (again, completely different style of racing to you.)
I'm thinking high 20s to low 30s is where you will finish.

Maybe go 28 all round and then adjust from there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Keen to see the video quality.....how about some vids of the ute !!

Vid is not the best will try and get something better nextr weekend.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro

Still Aursome .
Want to get back on mine, payed 12 months re rego yesterday, pissing down yesterday and today = so soon!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Is it possible to set the cam a bit higher or angle it upward ?

I kept trying to look further down the road.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it possible to set the cam a bit higher or angle it upward ?

I kept trying to look further down the road.
Yes I need adjust the angle. I had it set too low. I didn't realise until I viewed the vid. It has a number of attachments to set it in any direction you like. I will get some better footage when I hit the track next weekend.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So yesterday after the quick ride gave me two things. One the rear brakes were sticking on. I hope I have solved this by adjusting the position of the caliper. Hope so because I have no other ideas on why they were jamb on and need the nipple cracking to release the pressure. The MC is not sticking and the rod had plenty of free play. So hopefully it was just a matter of re-centring the pads distance on the disk.
Today I had another problem that is not easily resolved. My leathers won't zip up I need about 2" added into each side. Problem is I am struggling to find a bike leather place in Launceston and I need to have them ready by Friday.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I just remembered I had another issue. After a short 10min ride I could no longer pull the clutch lever. My left hand has no strength since I chopped off my two middle fingers. I am now madly working the wrist strengthening squeezy things in a hope that I can last for 50 or so gear changes each track session this weekend.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Look into the Magura hydraulic clutch conversion kits. They make a big difference. Cost is usually $200-400

A mate had a big accident racing at Phillip island which left him with very limited movement in middle and ring fingers in the left hand. He had to go hydraulic clutch and deals with it surprisingly well dirt riding (hard enduro style) which is much more reliant on clutch control.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Look into the Magura hydraulic clutch conversion kits. They make a big difference. Cost is usually $200-400

I think this is something I will need to look at, I doubt I will ever get full strength back since I lost half of my ring finger and half the movement in the middle one. I just need to make sure it's within the rules, as I have some restrictions that mean I need to stay within period.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Slightly better vid of the track day. I didn't push it hard as i don't know the track and the tyres never got hot due to top temp being around 10deg.